With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
This position can be based in New York City NY, San Francisco CA, Washington D.C., Boston MA or Raleigh NC
The Full-Stack Developer is part of the Application Development department under IT Operations and will act as the technical lead on all external website projects in addition to internal applications where required. The candidate will be responsible for the development, and support of external websites and internal applications. As technical lead the candidate will guide, mentor and train the web team on new technologies.
- Provide technical direction for the development, design, and systems integration of web sites from definition phase through implementation
- Analyze functional requirements and lead selection of appropriate solutions for projects, create Technical Specifications as needed
- Develop custom Drupal themes and modules
- Implement Drupal site building through the UI for content types, advanced Views, Feeds and other configuration
- Ensure we are on a development roadmap to maintain support with Drupal major versions, and plan and execute site migrations accordingly
- Provide primary development support for Environmental Defense Fund’s web sites and secondary support for internal applications
- Manage the website infrastructure. Monitor performance and perform standard configuration, management, and maintenance tasks in support of web infrastructure
- Implement security updates and patches, as well as resolve any issues identified by routine security audits
- Manage vendor relationship with hosting services provider and other software vendors
- Evaluate and provide recommendations for the selection of existing and emerging technologies that best fit web team and IT needs
- Produce and maintain technical documentation and user guides
- Serve as liaison between application development and web teams
- 5+ years’ experience in the LAMP (Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL) stack, with command line proficiency
- 5+ years’ experience developing Drupal applications, with experience in creating custom themes and modules for Drupal 7 and 8
- Experience managing cloud infrastructure such as RackSpace or AWS and a load balanced environment.
- Experience with Wordpress CMS platform
- Experience with Git version control, Composer, Drush and Gulp.
- Knowledgeable in web server technologies such as Nginx and Varnish
- Experience developing in a Windows environment and with the Office suite
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply