Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
The Financial Analyst is a key staff member in the operation of the budgetary and operational control systems for Mission Finance and will serve as a team support to mission finance staff within Enterprise Operations. This role will work across all the teams and provide support where there is staff vacancy or capacity needs. Some of the day-to-day tasks may helping to enter invoices for payment and systematically gathering, analyzing and reporting on income and expense data. S/he will work closely with staff to aid in the building, tracking and analyzing budgets and fund-raising proposals, and will help organize and present complex financial data for reporting and decision-making. The Financial Analyst will be asked to pull together data from multiple sources, build spreadsheets, make charts and help spot variances and issues in budget management, grant reporting and other program-wide issues and systems. The Financial Analyst will work with staff across Departments to insure the timely and accurate execution of financial activities; including serving as a key resource in using financial systems for helping with report generation. The Financial Analyst will be a member of the Mission Finance team within the Enterprise Operations Department, partnering with other Mission Finance staff and staff of the Finance and Development Departments.
Execute day-to-day financial processes and support financial planning and reporting activities on behalf of relevant Mission Workstreams.
- May Serve as Grant Manager for one or more grants, that supports several mission related workstreams. Ensure proper set up of new Grants in financial systems and monitor grant spending against budget.
- May submit and code program invoices, cross-checking them against service agreements, for submission for payment.
- May facilitate contract preparation and communication with consultants
- May coordinate the review, approval and submission process for new service and purchasing agreements.
- Assist in drafting grant financial reports for funders; identify variances and issues at grant-level
- Assist Mission Finance and Mission staff in the development of new budget proposals.
- Using accounting system data, assist with monthly forecasting and produce monthly reports of actual vs. budget results; update projections; investigate, analyze and explain variances from budget for income and expense line items.
- Serve as a systems expert in order to general financial reports for mission teams.
- Assist with other organizational and program-specific financial and operational processes, including resolving queries on accounts payable, revenue projections, reviewing and fixing coding issues, and other matters.
- Participate in departmental meetings for the Enterprise Operations teams.
- Participate in financial process improvement initiatives across the organization
- Perform ad-hoc financial analytics that support decision-making on strategic initiatives
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Bachelor’s degree, (business management, finance or accounting major preferred), with at least 2-4 years’ experience in a business or non-profit office setting. Additional experience in finance or accounting may be considered in lieu of a degree in business management, finance or accounting
- Finance and/or accounting experience in a non-profit organization is preferred along with experience working with gifts from foundations and private donors
- Reporting experience with government grants is a plus
- Detail-oriented ability to work with financial data, spot trends and ensure accuracy
- A high degree of proficiency in MS Office Suite, particularly Excel. Must be able to work with Excel to understand and develop formulas, charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by senior leadership
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills: the ability to effectively liaise with diverse colleagues across time zones
- Enthusiasm for team approach and problem solving
- Advanced project management and analytical skills
- Ability to perform well in fast-paced, multi-tasking style with changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Self-motivated, creative and attentive to details
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Experience with forecasting, budgeting and reporting software packages a plus
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 65,000 - 71,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply