With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Energy Program Overview
The goal of the EDF Energy Program is to bend the curve on greenhouse gas emissions from oil and gas production and use by 2030, while meeting the world’s energy needs cleanly and equitably. We are achieving this through a defined set of objectives targeted at 1) reducing emissions from oil and gas production, delivery, and use, and 2) reducing demand for oil and gas in power generation, transportation, buildings, and industry. To achieve our goal, we seek reforms in law, regulation, and/or business practice through a set of strategic corporate partnerships, direct engagement with policymakers, and mobilizing investor and public sentiment in favor of change. In achieving our objectives, we facilitate cutting-edge science, technical innovation, and rigorous economic and financial analysis to develop durable solutions.
As a key member of the Energy Program, the Financial Analyst will help develop, track and analyze Program budgets and fund-raising proposals, will organize and present complex financial data for reporting and decision-making, and will oversee financial processes for the program. This requires organizing the data, building spreadsheets and financial reports, reviewing contracts and grants, performing financial analysis and projections, reconciling variances, and resolving any issues. S/he will pursue continuous improvement in reporting and processes used to monitor budgets, and present complex financial data for decision-making to both financial and non-financial audiences.
The position will report to the Director, Energy Program Operations and will work very closely with EDF’s Finance Department and other cross-programmatic Finance and Operations teams.
- Organize data and create clear and accurate presentations, including spreadsheets, graphics, and insightful summary material
- Support Program and Department staff to produce timely month-end reports of actual vs. budget results, ensuring accuracy and completeness; investigate, analyze and explain variances from budget for income and expense line items
- Assist in the preparation of budgets and financial reports for various stakeholders, including internal management, funders, etc.; identify variances and issues in budget management
- Work with program management, program staff, finance staff and development staff to assist in the development of department annual budget submissions
- Assist in financial operations including those related to invoices, coding of expense items, and review of organizational and department-specific financial and operational processes
- Provide day-to-day financial management, including expense reclasses, managing the movement of expenses and revenue between entities, submitting revenue allocation requests to Development
- Conduct analyses that support regular (weekly and monthly) review of financial performance
- Participate in process improvement initiatives across the organization as it relates to finance
- Participate in departmental meetings and trainings
- Perform ad-hoc financial analytics that will provide decision-making support on strategic initiatives
- Assist in educating staff on budgetary, operational, and financial policies and processes. Participate both in program meetings and finance departmental meetings and trainings. Assist in rollout of EDF’s Enterprise Resource Planning process.
- Identify and advise on the reallocation of resources as appropriate. Coordinate with the Director, Energy Program Operations on the proper allocation of resources to meet the program’s operational priorities.
- Coordinate the hiring of consultants, ensuring process and contracts are in accordance with EDF guidelines, with special attention to potential international issues
- Assist with new hire on boarding and educate staff on team procedures including the budget process
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Work on special projects as assigned by Director, Energy Program Operations
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or Accounting
- Minimum 2-4 years of progressive experience in a Finance and Accounting department within a nonprofit organization is strongly preferred, but corporate experience will be considered with a B.A., or advanced degree with at least 2 years’ experience. International non-profit experience is a plus. Experience in fund accounting is a plus.
- Demonstrated familiarity of GAAP and thorough understanding of non-profit accounting principles and grants management
- Reporting experience with Government grants, foundations, and private donors is a plus
- Proven knowledge of budgeting, forecasting, and reporting: the ability to perform complex financial analysis and to create insight from a large-scale general ledger
- Detail-oriented: the ability to spot trends and ensure accuracy
- Experienced in MS Office Suite, with expertise in Excel: the ability to develop formulas, pivot tables, charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by management
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills: the ability to effectively liaise with colleagues in a diverse environment
- Solid organizational and problem-solving skills: the ability to be flexible under pressure with changing priorities, and perform well in a fast-paced team environment
- Self-motivated: the ability to work productively and independently
- Experience with forecasting, budgeting and reporting SAAS is required; experience with NetSuite is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Proficiency in a United Nations language other than English is a plus.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply