With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Must be willing to work EST business hours
As a member of the Finance Department, the Financial Analyst will provide technical and decision support to the organization’s operations that may include Administration, Information Technology, Human Resources, Finance, Legal & Compliance, and Global Operations, as well as program operations and grants management. S/he will assist in the annual budget submission process and in developing more effective reporting of the budget and actuals throughout the fiscal year. The Financial Analyst will be tasked to organize data, build spreadsheets, models, and financial reports, review contracts and grants, perform financial analysis and projections and analyze variances. This position will report to the Finance Manager.
- Partner with individual global Departmental leader to create the maximum appropriate financial transparency for each globally owned area
- Organize data and create clear and accurate analysis for communication and decision-making via presentations, including spreadsheets, graphics, and insightful summary material
- Support Department staff to produce timely month-end reports of actual vs. budget results, ensuring accuracy and completeness; investigate, analyze and explain variances from budget for income and expense line items
- Work with departments to perform monthly accounting for actual expenses by processing invoices, ensuring each month accurately reflects spending in the context of activities underway and in the context of the budgeted spending expected.
- Assist in the preparation of financial reports for various stakeholders, including internal management, funders, etc.; identify variances and issues in budget management
- Work with department teams to create annual budgets and periodic forecasts
- Process invoices, code expense items, and review of organizational and department-specific financial and operational processes
- Conduct analysis that supports periodic review of financial performance
- Participate in process improvement initiatives across the organization as it relates to finance
- Participate in departmental meetings and trainings
- Perform ad-hoc financial analytics that will provide decision-making support on strategic initiatives
- Work on special projects as assigned by Finance
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills: the ability to effectively liaise with colleagues in a diverse environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or Accounting
- Minimum 2-4 years of progressive experience in a Finance and/or Accounting within a non-profit organization with a B.A., or advanced degree in finance or management related subjects with at least 2 years’ professional experience
- International non-profit experience is a plus
- Demonstrated familiarity of GAAP; thorough understanding of non-profit accounting principles and grants management
- Government and/or foundation grant reporting experience is a plus
- Proven knowledge of budgeting, forecasting, and reporting: the ability to perform complex financial analysis and to create insight from a large-scale general ledger
- Detail-oriented: the ability to spot trends and ensure accuracy
- Experienced in MS Office Suite, with expertise in Excel: the ability to develop formulas, pivot tables, charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by management
- Solid organizational and problem-solving skills: the ability to be flexible under pressure with changing priorities, and perform well in a fast-paced team environment
- Self-motivated: the ability to work productively and independently
- Experience with forecasting, budgeting and reporting software packages is preferred
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply