With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Finance Coordinator will be a key member of the new EDF Europe Finance team. The Finance Coordinator will support the Finance Manager with the processing and recording of transactions. It will also be the initial contact point for queries from EDF staff and suppliers.
The position will be based in the Netherlands and will report to the Finance Manager (based in the UK). The Finance Coordinator should have a good working knowledge of English (to Level C1 or equivalent on the Common European Framework of Reference) and be comfortable working in a team that is based in multiple locations.
This role will provide support to the Finance Manager in the processing of financial transactions and the resolution of queries. Duties will include:
- Accounts payable
- Ensure that supplier invoices are coded, authorised and input into the finance system correctly. Assist the Finance Manager to create and release payments to staff and suppliers.
- Support EDF Europe staff and suppliers to ensure that new suppliers are vetted and set-up in accordance with EDF policy.
- Resolve queries with suppliers, escalating to the Finance Manager and Finance Director as appropriate.
- Maintain the payroll Sharepoint, providing access to new members and creating new folders.
- Collate monthly staff adjustments and input these onto the payroll template, seeking clarification from HR and the Finance Manager as required.
- Provide support to staff who need to access pay slips and other information.
- Act as the first point of contact for payroll queries.
- Review all staff expense claims to ensure that they have been correctly completed and authorised.
- Support the Finance manager to ensure that payments are created and released correctly.
- Act as the contact point for staff with expense or credit card queries.
- Review funds received from donors and partners
- Ensure that these receipts are processed correctly within the finance system.
- Time tracking
- Act as first contact for staff who need support with timesheets and tracking time.
- Help resolve operational issues and ensure that new codes are created.
- Support the Finance Manager to prepare and collate financial information as required to support requests from donors, auditors, or other internal and external stakeholders.
- Complete monthly balance sheet reconciliations and calculations (including accruals, prepayments, and deprecation journals).
- Run finance inductions for new staff joining EDF Europe.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Other activities and task that may reasonably be requested by the Finance Manager and Finance Director.
Qualifications and Experience
- Studying towards a recognised accountancy qualification (RA/ACCA/CIMA/AAT)
- Educated to Bachelor’s degree level in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or equivalent professional experience
- Knowledge of NL accounting and reporting requirements
- Experience working with Xero, Microsoft GP or Netsuite
- Excellent Excel skills: the ability to develop formulas, charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by management.
- Flexibility to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment.
- Comfortable using remote working technology and being part of a team located in multiple locations
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Working knowledge of English equivalent to at least C1 on the common European Framework of Reference.
- Knowledge of UK accounting and reporting requirements
You must have the right to live and work in the EU when applying
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply