With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
EDF offers internships and fellowships for students and recent graduates in a variety of programs and departments throughout the organization. The ultimate goal of our internship and fellowship program is to provide high-quality experiences (including relevant projects and opportunities for networking) that form the foundation for any individual who is serious about pursuing an environmental career.
The Field Operations Intern will help coordinate online advocacy and field efforts to build support for federal and state climate, and clean energy initiatives.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Assist in field efforts to build support for federal and state climate and clean energy initiatives.
- Support collaboration and coordination across EDF teams in key target states.
- Support in the planning, execution and follow-up of offline and online events, such as webinars, roundtables and fly-ins.
- Facilitate consistent and effective communications among all program staff.
- Support for digital organizing in key target states.
- Assist in efforts to cultivate engaging materials for current and future Advocacy Network members.
- Perform analysis of public officials and institutions that will impact climate and clean energy policy, including researching and reviewing public records.
- Provide organizational and logistical support for relevant congressional meetings, agency meetings or press events.
- Monitor relevant legislative activity including, congressional oversight, related to climate change.
- Perform any other outreach responsibilities to be arranged with supervisor based on intern interest.
The successful applicant will have proven interest in advocacy campaigns and a passion for advancing solutions to climate change. Applicant will have the following qualifications:
- Applicants for internships should be enrolled in a relevant undergraduate or graduate program such as Communications or Political Science with at least two years collegiate experience by the start of the internship.
- Problem-solving, interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with staff and volunteers.
- Demonstrated interest in online organizing, digital communications and political engagement.
- Experience with Basic HTML and CSS a plus.
- Experience with electoral or advocacy campaigns a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of social media platforms and email tools.
- Commitment to EDF's strategic approach, combined with enthusiasm for working on complex issues.
12 weeks during the summer
Full-time (35 hours/week)
This internship would involve either compensation for work paid at a rate competitive with leading non-profits or academic credit. Students are encouraged to seek academic credit or funding through their college/university and EDF will ensure that any and all paperwork needed to secure academic credit is completed.
Interested applicants should attach their cover letter and resume to the EDF application, together with references and a writing sample (no more than two pages).
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply