With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The Executive Assistant is responsible for providing proactive high-level and expert administrative support to the Institutional Giving (IG) Vice President, Associate Vice President and occasionally, other team members. The Executive Assistant will manage active calendars and regular travel; engage with a diverse set of internal stakeholders, requiring efficiency, tact, poise and grace; and perform a variety of administrative, information and project management tasks. The Executive Assistant will help ensure that IG team members and the department are well-organized and communicating smoothly.
Department and Location
This position is part of the 20 member IG team within EDF’s 100+ member Development Department. The Development Department raises 90% of EDF’s $200M budget annually; IG is responsible for raising between one-third and half of the department’s revenue. This position reports to the IG Vice President and will be located in Washington, DC.
Essential duties include but are not limited to:
- Manage the VP and AVP’s busy schedules and calendars, including setting and coordinating meetings and phone calls
- Ensure the VP and AVP are prepared for meetings, including agendas, supporting documents and other background information
- Help manage the VP’s day to maximize efficient use of time
- Liaise with other parts of EDF, particularly the President’s and Chief Development Officer’s staff, ensuring smooth communications and information flow
- Organize internal meetings – IG team meetings, meetings with other programs and departments – including coordinating agendas, managing communications, attending and taking notes
- Manage travel arrangements and process expense reports
- Serve as a resource on team-wide administrative matters
- Handle confidential and sensitive information with professionalism and discretion
Project and data information management:
- Proactively compile and maintain up-to-date monthly IG deadline calendar
- Coordinate VP and AVP document review and liaise with colleagues to ensure standardization and timely submission of materials to EDF leadership, as needed
- Prepare written communications and correspondence for internal and external audiences, including conducting research as required
- Conduct research and generate reports from Salesforce database, e.g., team-wide income projections.
- Manage list pulling and distribution process for team-wide requests, e.g., invitations to board meetings and other events, mass email communications to donors
- Attend meetings as assigned to ensure appropriate follow up and information sharing
- Keep informed of major organizational, department and team projects and priorities
- Provide research assistance to VP, AVP and others, as needed
- Act as liaison with other internal departments/programs and outside organizations, including serving as point person for inquiries to IG
- Perform other duties, as assigned
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- 7 years’ progressively responsible administrative work experience; experience in a Development setting is a plus
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Demonstrated project management and analytical skills and experience
- Proven ability to manage time effectively, juggle multiple tasks and meet competing deadlines
- Excellent judgement and interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain poise, tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality while representing the organization and interfacing with all levels of staff, volunteers, funders, and vendors
- Ability to work effectively across a growing, dynamic organization and among geographically-dispersed colleagues
- Demonstrated self-starter and team player skills; must be willing to help out, work well with colleagues and think/act like an owner
- Willingness to take responsibility for assigned work, seeing it through to completion
- Proficiency in all aspects of Microsoft Word and Excel; experience using Development database(s) such as Salesforce strongly preferred
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply