With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Executive Assistant provides advanced, diversified, administrative support to the Senior Vice President of the Energy Program, who is an Executive Team member and staff lead of the Energy Committee of the Board. The Executive Assistant anticipates the Senior Vice President’s needs and proactively solves problems and/or independently handles issues.
- Manage the Senior Vice President’s extensive meeting schedule and maintain SVP’s calendar in Outlook, keeping track of deadlines and important events and reconciling conflicts. Book conference rooms and video conferencing services as required.
- Determine priorities and time sensitive issues on a daily basis for the SVP.
- Coordinate the SVP’s activities, negotiating and managing the needs of individuals or groups requesting time with or information from the SVP; committing the SVP’s time based on an in-depth understanding of SVP’s priorities and needs and SVP’s role in the organization’s framework.
- Serve as the SVP’s liaison to various internal and external constituencies, including screening correspondence and telephone calls; keep the executive informed of all matters requiring his/her attention.
- Assist the SVP in preparing for meetings and appointments with Board Members, staff and external constituents, securing information and supporting materials from other departments, as necessary, providing hard copies one day prior to meetings.
- Manage all travel booking (air, hotel, and ground transportation) and resolve all logistical travel issues prior to and during trip.
- Organize and attend weekly team meetings; coordinate and communicate logistics for staff; prepare draft of agenda for the SVP’s review, distribute agenda and supporting materials to attendees in timely manner. Prepare and track a list of key takeaways and action items from each meeting. Take notes and prepare clear and accurate minutes.
- Coordinate regular (weekly or bi-weekly meetings) with all direct reports and other key EDF staff members. Ensure regular meetings are maintained and consistent.
- Coordinate information flow and documents with internal and external parties.
- Maintain and update the SVP’s contacts.
- Track all expenses and prepare monthly expense reports on time.
- Maximize Senior Vice President’s time by collecting and analyzing information and reading, drafting, researching, and routing correspondence and making follow-up phone calls as needed.
- Assist in execution of events and team retreats.
10% or less of travel is expected for this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- At least 4 years of working for senior-level executive.
- Creativity, energy, and the ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure.
- Excellent communication skills via written, spoken and graphical means.
- Well-organized and adept at managing a busy senior-level executive’s schedule to maximize their effectiveness.
- Significant work experience in coordinating events and managing and executing projects that meet deadlines.
- Excellent judgment and discretion and demonstrated ability to handle sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
- Works independently and manages and prioritizes highly detailed tasks and initiates and manages multiple competing priorities.
- Proficiency in the use of PCs and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- Fluency in another language a plus.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply