Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Location: Hybrid 2-3 days in any of these EDF office New York, Boston, Washington, DC or Remote US
Investors represent a powerful force in accelerating the shift to a more sustainable and resilient economy. They influence the flow of trillions of dollars and are under increasing pressure to use their influence to drive change at carbon-intensive companies and to align investment portfolios with a more resilient future. Our vision is that by 2025, leading investors will be competing for climate leadership and using their influence and captial to drive change across carbon-intensive industries and scale investment in low carbon solutions.
Reporting to the Director of Investor Influence, the ESG Analyst will conduct data-driven research and analysis to shape communications and engagement with investors and financial institutions. This role will help to inform and amplify the new ESG by EDF: Actionable Insights for a Decarbonizing World platform, which aims to leverage EDF’s world-leading expertise in climate science, economics, and public policy to inform rigorous assessment and constructive engagement with carbon-intensive industries. Through this platform, we intend to equip the financial community with the independent analysis and tools needed to manage climate risk, assess opportunities, and accelerate urgent action in the sectors that matter most.
As a member of the EDF +Business Investor Influence team, the position’s responsibilities will include:
- Compiling data and performing timely in-house analysis on carbon-intensive sectors and global banks
- Interfacing with EDF experts and leveraging their work to develop actionable insights and recommendations that investors can use in evaluating and engaging companies in carbon-intensive sectors
- Supporting research and analysis for the ESG By EDF platform and the Investor Influence team. This entails translating complex, technical subject matter into language that resonates with and helps drive desired behavior by investor audiences. Products could include long form reports, blogs, digital/social media, reporter memos, and infographics
- Participating in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
We are seeking candidates who have demonstrated ability to conduct rigorous research and analysis in sustainable finance or a closely related field. Candidates must have exceptional problem-solving and interpersonal skills, work independently and collaboratively within the EDF team, and be able to ensure consistency and quality of research products.
- Bachelor’s degree in sustainability, finance or a related field with 3 years of professional experience; or Master’s degree with a least 1 year experience
- Demonstrated interest in climate change and the financial sector
- Excellent research and analytical skills and an interest in performing rigorous quantitative analysis in support of highly visible work
- Some familiarity with the banking industry and the evolving climate commitments among global financial institutions a plus
- Willingness to take initiative and ability to multi-task under tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently, to manage projects and participate in research efforts
- Keen attention to detail to ensure consistency and quality of outputs
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other office productivity software
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python or R a plus
- Expert writing and editing skills targeted at financial sector audiences
- Excellent verb communication and presentation skills
- Proficiency in English
- Ability to support a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgement require to plan, prioritize, and organize a diversified workload
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 56,000 - 64,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply