With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Energy Manager, EDF+Business
European Union, preference for Amsterdam, Brussels, Germany
About EDF+Business: we are a cross-cutting program within EDF that engages the business community on driving large-scale environmental change. We believe companies, communities, and the environment can thrive in unison - and we’re making it happen by leveraging the power of the marketplace. For 25 years, we’ve combined cutting-edge science, economic expertise, and unexpected partnerships to help high-impact companies transform business as usual in their products, operations, supply chains and advocacy.
Our world needs healthy environments and healthy businesses to truly thrive - EDF+Business is forging solutions that benefit both. For more information on our work, visit business.edf.org.
The Energy Manager will play a critical role in (1) managing and expanding EDF’s oil and gas innovation portfolio, (2) forging new relationships with oil and gas companies, gas buyers, technologists, academics, and startups, and (3) supporting the adoption of technology to support a gold standard of measurement, reporting and verification of emissions from the oil and gas industry. Specifically, they will collaborate with staff across the breadth of EDF’s science, economics, and policy experts to accelerate emissions monitoring technology testing and deployment internationally; support industry engagement with regards to policy advocacy in US and EU; execute on a strategy to indirectly influence National Oil Companies through joint venture partnernships; and elevate EDF’s expertise and role in oil and gas emission innovation through thought leadership. This role will independently guide, manage, and grow our work catalyzing technology-driven solutions to reduce and prevent emissions from the oil and gas value chain, as well as execute a strategy, in coordination with the Energy Program, to drive emissions reduction across public, private, and state-owned oil and gas companies globally.
The Energy Manager will work under a Director, EDF+Business. Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage, grow, and sustain the EDF+Business Energy innovation portfolio, including expansion of our testing, piloting, and deployment projects across mobile and continuous detection solutions and strategic partnership management with oil and gas companies, investors, technologists, and startups in the rapidly evolving emission technology space
- Catalyze new relationships with stakeholders in the European gas buyer and trading spheres and devise strategies to leverage these relationships to drive emission reductions and policy recommendations
Support ongoing oil and gas political and regulatory initiatives in Europe and the US at a time of unprecedented rulemaking opportunities
- Drive EDF’s work internationally with the United Nations Environment Program, including encouraging and facilitating industry adoption and implementation of the Climate & Clean Air Coalition’s Oil and Gas Methane Partnership reporting framework.
- Expand emission reduction initiatives to new frontiers of geography and industry, supporting the EDF+Business and Energy Program initiative to manage the goals and accompanying tactics for the multi-stakeholder Non-Operated Joint Venture strategy
- Conduct cutting-edge, original research and publish thought leadership that expands EDF’s presence, voice, and expertise
- Support other initiatives in the EDF+Business program as needed, including ongoing projects and “rapid response” to incoming inquiries or new issues related to our work
- Participate in program or organizational strategy and planning efforts, including developing workplans and strategies; overseeing budgets and financial accountability; negotiating contracts, agreements, and scopes of work; and contributing to fundraising activities
- Communicate project results to EDF staff, corporate partners, donors, the media, and various stakeholders through reports, presentations, blogs, and other methods that build EDF thought leadership
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- At least six years program or related experience, or advanced degree with at least 4 years of direct experience
- Demonstrated ability to lead an initiative and produce measurable results
- General knowledge of the global oil and gas industry – priority geographies, critical stakeholders, operational practices, and key news and trends
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Experience in project management and exceptional personal organization and attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience
- Strong critical thinking skills with the ability to structure and test hypotheses to innovate new solutions for persistent, challenging issues
- Strong analytical skills and experience in performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work
- An ability to work both independently and as a member of small teams on multiple projects in a fast-paced, dynamic and creative environment
- Proficiency in the use of PCs and the Microsoft Office suite of software (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply