With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
About EDF+Business: we are a cross-cutting program within EDF that engages the business community on driving large-scale environmental change. We believe companies, communities, and the environment can thrive in unison - and we’re making it happen by leveraging the power of the marketplace. For 25 years, we’ve combined cutting-edge science, economic expertise and unexpected partnerships to help high-impact companies transform business as usual in their products, operations, supply chains and advocacy.
Our world needs healthy environments and healthy businesses to truly thrive - EDF+Business is forging solutions that benefit both. For more information on our work, visit business.edf.org.
The Energy Analyst will play a critical role in (1) analyzing the rapidly evolving emissions technology landscape and sector trends, (2) supporting the adoption of technology to achieve a gold standard of emissions measurement, reporting and verification, and (3) conducting research and analysis into the use of climate satellite data among industry and regulators. The output will contribute to thought leadership that expands EDF’s presence, voice, and expertise in such topics.
Specifically, they will work with staff across EDF to accelerate emissions monitoring technology testing and deployment in the United States, and internationally, with an emphasis on mobile, remote, and continuous monitoring solutions. This work will support industry engagement with regards to policy advocacy in U.S. and EU and elevate EDF’s expertise and role in oil and gas emissions innovation through thought leadership. This role will guide, manage, and grow our work catalyzing technology-driven solutions to reduce and prevent emissions from the oil and gas value chain, as well as execute a strategy, in coordination with the Energy Program, to leverage data procured from MethaneSAT to secure meaningful emissions reductions from those with the power to act.
The Energy Analyst will work under a Director, EDF+Business. Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Analyze emission detection and measurement technology industry landscape, technology adoption amongst industry, and sector trends with output informing engagements with industry and regulators.
- Analyze use of satellite data among industry and regulators with Office of Chief Scientist.
- Identify risk and opportunities with industry from satellites that may compete with or complement MethaneSAT.
- Build and manage relationships with entrepreneurs and technology providers.
- Collaborate internally with MethaneSAT team to ensure that product design is optimized for industry and regulator engagement.
- Conduct original research and publish thought leadership that expands EDF’s presence, voice, and expertise in topics such as industry trends, satellites, and oil and gas innovation.
- Support other initiatives in the EDF+Business program as needed, including ongoing projects and “rapid response” to incoming inquiries or new issues related to our oil and gas work
- Build relationships and catalyze strategic partnerships with technologists, academics, and industry
- Communicate project results to EDF staff, corporate partners, donors, media, and various stakeholders through reports, presentations, blogs, and other methods that build EDF thought leadership.
- Must advance EDF DEIJ goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental challenges we face. This includes fostering equitable systems and empowering diverse constituencies both internally and externally.
- University degree in environmental or natural resources, chemistry, atmospheric science, chemical engineering, or a related area is preferred
- A minimum of two years of experience in an analyst role, scientific, industry, and/or financial analysis experience, is required
- Experience with international scientific campaigns is desirable
- General knowledge of the global oil and gas industry - priority geographies, critical stakeholders, operational practices, and key news and trends is desirable
- Experience of remote sensing technologies and methodologies, with a focus on methane emissions and / or data integration, is desirable
- Experience in project management and exceptional personal organization and attention to detail
- Must demonstrate cultural awareness and the knowledge, attitude, behavior, and skills that lead to a culturally competent workplace. Must demonstrate a commitment to continued self-assessment, learning, and growth to increase and broaden culturally competent skillsets that produce effective interactions with people across diverse cultures and backgrounds. This includes the ability to adapt to cultural change.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience
- Strong critical thinking skills with the ability to structure and test hypotheses to innovate new solutions for persistent, challenging issues
- Strong analytical skills and experience in performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work
- An ability to work both independently and as a member of small teams on multiple projects in a fast-paced, dynamic, and creative environment
- Proficiency in the use of PCs and the Microsoft Office suite of software (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply