With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
EDF Action is the advocacy partner of Environmental Defense Fund. With a dedicated team of lobbyists, political strategists and communications professionals, we build strong, bipartisan support for transformative environmental protections. By cultivating unlikely political support and mobilizing an army of concerned citizens, we work toward revitalizing our fragile wetlands, keeping toxic chemicals out of our homes and bodies and delivering climate change solutions big and small.
This person will help EDF Action staff, including helping to promote EDF Action work through external communications channels as well as preparing funder materials.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
· Assist with drafting of press materials like releases, advisories, blogs, social media, and communications research;
· Work with communications department to create and maintain press lists;
· Tracking relevant news articles and all public communications from targeted campaigns, including press releases, e-mails, TV and radio ads;
· Preparing materials for funders, partners and other key stakeholders.
· Special events planning, preparation and implementation.
· Compile and write background research on candidates and races.
· Provide general office support as needed.
· Applicants for internships should be enrolled in a relevant undergraduate or graduate program, such as political science, economics, or public policy—with a preference towards someone who can commit working full-days.
· Experience working in congressional office, political campaign, or advocacy environment
· High degree of professionalism
· Strong organizational and analytical skills
· Strong writing and verbal communication skills
· Proficient in Adobe suite a plus
· Ability to work in fast-paced, collaborative work environment, and easily adjust to changing needs and schedules.
10 to 12 weeks during the Fall
Full-time (35 hours/week) or part-time (20 hours/week) opportunities available
This internship would involve either compensation for hourly work paid at a rate competitive with leading non-profits or academic credit. Students are encouraged to seek academic credit through their college/university and EDF will ensure that any and all paperwork needed to secure academic credit is completed.
To be considered for an internship with the Environmental Defense Fund’s Legislative team, please apply by submitting your resume and cover letter. In your letter please describe your interest in advocacy campaigns and/or energy and climate policy, whether or not you are able to work for class credit and/or note any work-study or grant money you will be able to provide.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply