With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and working closely with the President and his staff, the Director of Trustee and Board Relations is responsible for the successful and effective functioning of the Environmental Defense Fund’s (EDF) c3 and c4 governing boards (EDF Board of Trustees, Environmental Defense Action Fund (EDAF/c4) Board of Directors) and their attendant committees. The Director will also provide guidance and oversight for advisory boards, including but not limited to the the EDF Europe Board, and the EDF China Advisory Board.
Success in the role means ensuring a first-in-class board experience, that appropriate organizational governance standards are met, that the engagement of trustees and advisors in the work of EDF is rich and deep, and that their relevant experience and networks are well leveraged. This position has the support of EDF’s legal, finance, events, development and program staff, and manages a Board Relations Coordinator. Meeting locations and logistics are handled by the development department’s events team.
- Lead the development and execution of three annual meetings for the c3 and c4 boards, including agenda setting for full meetings and attendant committee meetings, identification and recruitment of board dinner speakers, establishment of locations and other logistics, and potentially determine field trip locations.
- Provide support to the Board Chair and president in all aspects of their board management; work closely with the CDO to support the Board Chair and President on nominations and governance. Prep Board Chair and President for meetings.
- With President and Board Chair, develop overarching strategies for c3 and c4 boards; advise on strategy for EDF Europe, CAB and other advisory boards.
- Provide guidance and direction to program and finance staff on the management of their committees. Includes scheduling and overseeing presentation rehearsals, vetting of updates and other materials.
- Oversee organization-wide standards, processes and guidelines for all volunteer board identification, recruitment, orientation and management. Work closely with Development Officers to coordinate engagement of key trustee donors. Ensure all committees are fully populated and trustees have appropriate committee assignments.
- Stays up to date on board management best practices and appropriately integrates them into operations.
- Ensures records, lists, and websites are kept up to date and works with the legal department on maintenance of compliance records.
- Vet and finalize all communications to trustees and board committee members. Ensure at least monthly communications from program committees to their members, and that trustees regularly receive relevant internal information. Oversee preparation of board book, provide editorial review.
- Collaborate with executive leadership to determine appropriate governing and advisory entities for work outside the U.S.
- Orient and on-board new administrative staff in regards to their role in board relations and operations.
- BA degree required and at least 7 years of professional level experience in board management or development.
The Director of Trustee and Board Relations has access to all Board and Development Department files and records. Tact, discretion, judgment and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality are required.
- Demonstrated experience with and ability to interact diplomatically with key constituents, such as high net-worth individuals, board members, media or other external contacts.
- Strong project management skills.
- Self-motivated, extremely well-organized, collegial, capable of functioning with grace under pressure.
- Lead through influence, establish deadlines and hold others accountable to them.
- Willing to take initiative, establish clear priorities, and work independently as well as function as a member of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong database knowledge (Salesforce ideal), and high degree of facility with common programs and apps.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills and the ability to convey complex ideas in writing, with a level of clarity and sophistication expected by EDF leadership, donors and prospects.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply