Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
The NC Director, Political Programs will work closely with the top policy staff in the state and embed themselves with the political operations, working to build political partnerships and advance priority policy goals. The Deputy Political Director will be responsible for building and executing plans for EDF Action local, state, and federal electoral initiatives in the state and region.. In particular, the position will be responsible for working with the Senior Political Director to manage external consultants, supervising and crafting independent expenditure programs, and generally supporting EDF Action’s policy and political success. In this role, you will be part of a tight-knit team, reporting to the Senior Political Director of EDF Action, while working closely with other colleagues on the EDF Action team and the policy and advocacy teams in the region.
The Deputy Political Director will report to Senior Political Director.
The Director, Political Programs responsibilities will include:
- Work with state and regional leads to develop political priorities in support of state policy goals.
- Work with federal affairs staff and EDF Action Senior Political Director to inform and help implement coordinated advocacy and political engagement that integrate local perspectives.
- Work with Senior Political Director to track all EDF Action budget items in coordination with the compliance manager and finance staff, working to ensure accurate and timely payment and reporting of expenditures
- Develop and implement policies and structures to streamline operations including creative product tracking and approval, procedures for external consultants, and the media buying process.
- Build alliances and partnerships with aligned political actors active at the state level.
- Working directly with candidates (as appropriate), facilitating campaign contributions, providing supportive resources and working to cultivate, or even recruit candidates for elected office.
- Coordinating the development and implementation of in-state independent expenditure program in election years.
- Develop assets, relationships and networks and provide political intelligence that enhance the effectiveness of EDF Action’s policy advocacy and political engagements.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences are connected, included, and empowered to address environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum six years of experience
- Strong understanding of political and campaign paid communications, especially the independent expenditure landscape.
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Results-oriented, proactive individual with the ability to think strategically and carry out responsibilities in a timely and effective manner with minimal supervision.
- Interest and working knowledge of current issues relating to climate change, energy efficiency, clean energy, and air quality.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 125,000 - 136,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply