Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Director, Net Zero Accelerator, EDF+Business
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships, and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of over 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
EDF+Business is a cross-cutting solutions team that develops and deploys business and investor engagement strategies that accelerate environmental leadership, innovation, and results across industries and supply chains. We are working to create a more sustainable and resilient world where companies, communities and the environment thrive - and we’re making it happen by leveraging the power of the marketplace. We’ve been at the forefront of this change for 30 years, bringing cutting edge science, policy, and economic expertise to high-impact companies to transform business as usual in their products, operations, and advocacy.
For more information on our work, visit business.edf.org.
This role is located in San Francisco, CA and can be worked remotely.
Achieving global climate goals requires increased leadership from the private sector, which has the scale, innovation and investment capacity, and political influence needed to drive rapid decarbonization. Our goal is that, by 2030, private sector action and advocacy helps drive a 50% decline in global climate pollution, setting us on a path to reach net zero emissions by mid-century. We plan to achieve this goal by establishing a Net Zero Accelerator that serves as a bridge from growing corporate climate commitments to targeted action plans and tangible results.
The Net Zero Accelerator is an EDF+Business initiative designed to arm companies with the climate implementation and innovation capacity needed to set us on a path to net zero emissions by 2050. The Accelerator will create resources, case studies, learning modules, and strategic planning workshops designed to drive the implementation of, and internal capacity for, net zero action. By developing best-in-class transition plans, NGO and academic partnerships, and capacity-building fellowships, the Accelerator will provide key near- and long-term strategies that match growing climate ambition with targeted plans and urgent action.
The Director will lead a dedicated team of staff and consultants charged with implementing EDF+Business’ Net Zero Accelerator. The Director will be responsible for coordinating and helping to drive the interdisciplinary workstreams under this project, including coordination within and across programs and with outside partners such as NGOs, academic institutions and consultants. The Director will work closely with members of EDF+Business and will shape and advance efforts to turn company Net Zero goals into plans and climate action. The Director will leverage EDF’s extensive expertise on voluntary corporate action and existing and new external partnerships to create and build an Accelerator that will help companies plan and act to achieve climate goals. Working adaptively to take advantage of a rapidly changing company Net Zero landscape, the Director will launch and iterate the Net Zero Accelerator to ensure high impact climate results.
- Build a project team and manage and direct them towards the project goal.
- Oversee consultants and collaborate with staff and partners to develop and launch the Net Zero Accelerator.
- Coordinate team’s work with internal colleagues, including liaising across programs and departments on related workstreams in a matrixed project management structure to capture learnings and support efforts that contribute to our net zero goal.
- Develop and put into practice a plan for evaluating, measuring, and tracking impact, and applying these learnings to inform and iterate the Accelerator.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with leading NGOs, academic institutions, and consultants to support and enhance the goals of the Net Zero Accelerator.
- Coordinate with marketing and communications team to develop and execute communications strategies to increase reach and visibility.
- Supervise project operations; review and update budget and strategic planning documents and work plans.
- Engage in fundraising efforts, coordinate with Development on trustee and donor stewardship, and participate in donor events.
- Engage with the Net Zero Accelerator Advisory Board.
- Support and build a culture that fosters communication, collaboration, diversity, inclusion, and trust.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least ten (10) years of related experience, or a Master’s degree and at least five (5) years of related experience.
- Demonstrated experience developing strategies, growing a team, creating work plans and executing strategies from conception to completion.
- Experience managing a matrixed team of interdisciplinary experts to deliver results.
- Self-starter, detail oriented, and well-organized.
- Deep knowledge of business-environment strategy and climate issues as they relate to business.
- Expertise in learning and content delivery for a corporate audience.
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively with a variety of diverse stakeholders including nonprofit colleagues and partners, academics, scientists, economists, industry, regulators and public policy decision makers.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong strategic thinking and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and apply new concepts to strategic planning and recommendations.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- International knowledge and experience a plus.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 120,000 - 136,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply