With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years.
The 2020s are the defining decade to transform business as usual for good. We can avert catastrophic climate change by advancing innovative, clean, prosperous business models and practices, supported by science based climate and energy policy. To get there, EDF is developing an ambitious strategy to capitalize on rising investor attention on ESG, with the goal of leveraging investor influence to move the companies that matter most in the sectors that have the greatest impact to be on the path to net zero emission by 2050. This initiative builds on EDF’s successful track record of partnering with leading investors, including efforts with KKR and Carlyle to unlock energy efficiency in portfolio companies, and engagements with a wide range of leading investors to reduce methane emissions and flaring in the oil and gas industry.
The Director will lead a dedicated team of staff and consultants charged with leveraging investor influence to speed climate action in select, high carbon intensity sectors of the economy. Reporting to the Senior Director, EDF+Business and working closely with other members of the EDF+Business leadership team and Energy, Climate and other programs, she or he will use advanced knowledge of finance and climate to develop and implement the program’s priorities for lasting environmental change.
New York City, NY; Boston, MA; Washington, D.C.; London or Remote
This is a one year renewable fixed term contract.
- Lead and coordinate a growing portfolio of high impact, investor facing projects - including analysis, communications, and engagement - that are important to the success of EDF. Contribute to overall program and enterprise level objectives.
- Analyze existing investor oriented projects and find ways to implement transformational, durable solutions and create ways to measure successes. Accountable for project strategy, results and team development.
- Build and leverage high impact relationships with key investors, including asset managers, public pension funds, banks, endowments, private equity, and investor climate groups.
- Supervise project operations; develop, review and update budget, approximately $1-2M annually with potential for additional growth.
- Develop or update strategic planning documents and work plans for all major investor climate initiatives.
- Serve as a primary liaison with Energy and Climate program senior staff, while also coordinating investor work across EDF+Business and instilling the process, systems, and culture to ensure high caliber external relationship management.
- Represent EDF at various investor conferences and other public speaking engagements, and provide expert level insights and information.
- Coordinate with Marketing & Communications team to develop and execute communications strategies to increase reach and visibility. Engage the media to advance project objectives, and communicate project results to a broad array of audiences.
- Actively support fundraising efforts to attract critical resources to grow initiatives and impact.
- Serve as a mentor for junior staff, interns, and identify and support opportunities for professional growth and development.
- 10 or more years experience in finance, management, or related field required, with senior experience in banking, asset management, private equity, or management consulting preferred.
- Advanced degree in finance, management or related field preferred.
- Demonstrable project and people management skills, including the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied background and experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills for executive audiences.
- Creative and innovative thinker willing to challenge the status quo and propose new ideas and opportunities.
- Proven ability to work both independently and lead a team in a fast-paced, dynamic and creative environment.
- Experience managing a diverse workload.
- Exceptional personal organization and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in the use of standard business software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply