With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
Provide leadership and strategic vision to achieve legislative objectives that advance EDF’s advocacy goals across program areas. Specific legislative objectives include: preserve clean air rules; advance clean energy policies; lay the groundwork for bipartisan climate legislation; and block congressional efforts to weaken core environmental protections. This position will have a focus on Republican members of Congress.
- Serve as an EDF lobbyist and build a strong network of relationships directly with members of Congress, as well as high-level personal office staff and key committee and leadership staff particularly in Republican offices.
- Develop and implement strategies and plans tailored for Republican offices on climate related issues, such as sustainable agriculture and resilience, as well as comprehensive climate policy.
- Coordinate across programs including with Oceans, Ecosystems and EDAF PAC to ensure the Hill engagements are well coordinated and to build EDF’s brand and political influence with lawmakers.
- Collaborate effectively with EDF’s legal and regulatory team and external coalitions to block Congressional and executive branch attacks on our nation’s bedrock environmental laws and to advance a pro-environment agenda.
- Work closely with strategic partners and communications to help shape our policy-related communications and messaging strategies.
- Collaborate with external organizations, including other NGOs at the federal and state level and company representatives to advance EDF’s legislative goals. Collaborate with and direct partner organizations and consultants.
- Assist with fundraising efforts, including writing high quality proposals and reports and cultivating individual donors.
- 10+ years of Capitol Hill lobbying experience, especially with the Republican party
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters would be a plus
- A proven network of Republican congressional contacts
- Experience lobbying on environmental issues
- Familiarity with the NGO community
- Ability to interface with right-leaning environmental groups to ensure collaboration and coordination when needed
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply