Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Job Title: Director, EU Climate Smart Agriculture
Contract: 2 year contract - duration of funding with possibility of extension to Permanent
Location: Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany (with regular travelling to Brussels) (hybrid)
Hours: Full Time
Application Deadline: July 1st, 2022
Environmental Defense Fund Europe (EDFE) is an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund, a leading international non-profit organisation that creates transformative solutions to the most serious environmental problems. With programs from Boston to Beijing, Environmental Defense Fund has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, economics, market-based approaches, and innovative private-sector partnerships. This position is part of our growing presence in Europe.
By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organisations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
We envision a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Methane is expected to cause nearly half of the projected temperature rise due to new greenhouse gas emissions over the next two decades. Agriculture is the largest source of human-caused methane emissions globally (approximately 40%), and livestock alone accounts for approximately one-third of those emissions. In the EU this percentage is even higher as 53% of anthropogenic methane emissions come from agriculture.
You will lead on our agriculture methane work in the EU working together closely with the global agriculture methane team, a cross-cutting team at EDF, to address these challenges and scale methane reduction strategies across the world.
In this varied position you will have a central role in helping to raise ambitions to reduce livestock methane emissions at EU and member state level through creating support for agricultural targets and/or relevant climate policies. You will oversee economic and policy analysis to underpin this goal. You will also work with industry partners to help raise their ambitions and to inform their climate strategies.
We’re looking for experienced candidates who have a deep understanding of the EU’s ambitions for agriculture under the Green Deal and who understand the importance and opportunities to tackle methane emissions in the agriculture sector. You need to have strong communication and people skills and feel comfortable communicating with diverse audiences. You will have strong analytical and problem-solving skills and good attention to detail. You need to be self-starter and want to contribute to finding solutions to today’s climate change challenges.
In this role you will also have the opportunity to help shape our work on the wider climate adaptation and mitigation agenda for agriculture in the EU.
You will report to the AVP European Strategy & Engagement in London, liaising closely with colleagues in Europe, the United States and in other overseas offices.
Key Responsibilities - You will
- Manage our agriculture methane work in Europe. As part of this you will:
o Scope and manage the program of work for the next 2 years
o Be an advocate for our position on reducing agriculture methane emission reductions in Europe
o Work with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists, economists, and communication colleagues
o Commission and oversee strategic economic and policy analysis
o Build and leverage internal and external networks and connect with key stakeholders in European Institutions, EU member state governments, agriculture industry and partner NGOs to advance the objectives of our agriculture methane work
- Support fundraising efforts to raise new resources for this program of work and the wider climate smart agriculture agenda
- Keep abreast of EDF’s wider strategic goals and programmatic work.
- Participate in advancing EDF Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
Skills & Experience - You are
- Educated to master level, or equivalent professional experience.
- Experienced at working on climate smart agriculture or related issues within industry, NGOs, think tanks or the EU institutions; knowledge of and/or an interest in wider environmental policy, the CAP, economics and sustainable finance is also desirable.
- A strong written and oral communicator. You are confident at doing formal presentations before senior internal staff and critical outside stakeholders. You apply your communication skills to persuade, influence or lead others.
- A strong networker. You will build on your existing network at the EU level and in specific Member States to identify and develop relationships with a variety of stakeholders in and outside the agriculture sector. You will identify and develop relationships with potential project collaborators.
- An excellent analyst and problem solver, and you are confident at developing proposals using evidence. You are experienced at making professional, scientific or technical judgments.
- Experienced at developing the strategy for a project or function, identifying relevant funding and establishing work plans. You are focused on getting buy-in from the wider team for your proposals.
- Fluent in English and have a good command of at least one other European language
- You demonstrate self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
You can be based in Belgium, Germany, or the Netherlands, but you will be expected to be in Brussels regularly when in-person meetings become part of our work again. We support hybrid working. You must have the right to live and work in the EU when applying.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 96,000 - 110,000 EUR which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply