With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
This is a unique opportunity for a seasoned, sophisticated development professional with stellar experience to become part of the development team at one of the nation’s premier environmental organizations. This position reports to the Vice President for Development and Campaign. The Director of Donor Stewardship and Gift Administration will be responsible for ensuring that EDF’s most important donors receive exceptional donor stewardship.
The Director will be responsible for the overall management of stewardship deliverables to the organization’s major and principal gift donors, and for timely and accurate administration of major and principal gifts/grants. They will work closely with major and institutional gift officers, development operations staff, and program, finance and executive team members to develop proposals and gift/grant agreements; develop and implement comprehensive gift/grant stewardship and administration plans; and ensure timely, accurate and compelling reporting to EDF’s top supporters. The Director will also be responsible for developing, documenting and implementing best practices for donor stewardship and gift/grant administration. In addition, they will work closely with development and program colleagues to develop and carry out creative stewardship that strengthens the relationship of donors with EDF. The Director will develop and deliver a comprehensive proposal for donor stewardship and gift/grant administration for consideration by the Development Leadership Team and other senior staff.
- Document and create tracking/reporting system to manage all stewardship and gift/grant administration needs for $100K+ donors.
- Work with major and institutional gift officers to develop comprehensive stewardship plans for $100K+ donors.
- Work closely with development, program and finance staff to ensure timely and accurate gift/grant administration.
- Provide guidance and support on the development of proposals, proposal budgets, gift agreements.
- Develop, document and implement best practices for gift agreements, donor stewardship, and gift/grants administration.
- Serve as the organizational lead ensuring documentation of and adherence to donor intent.
- Develop and implement recommendations for donor recognition standards.
- Develop and deliver comprehensive proposal for donor stewardship and gift/grant administration.
- Develop and maintain basic knowledge of all major and principal gift donors to EDF.
- Forge strong working relationships with colleagues in Development, Finance, Programs, Marketing and Communications, and organizational leadership.
- Maintain working knowledge of best practices in donor stewardship and gift/grant administration across the non-profit community.
- Develop and help implement creative stewardship ideas.
- Make donor stewardship and gift/grant administration fun!
- At least 10 or more years of development experience, including direct experience in donor stewardship/relations and non-profit management.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- Experience developing donor strategies for major and principal gift donors.
- Experience working closely with major and principal gift officers.
- Knowledge of current trends in fundraising and non-profit management.
- Experience with gift/grant administration and non-profit finance.
- Experience with/strong interest in environmental issues preferred.
- A great deal of energy, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit; high level of comfort working in a fast-paced environment.
- A positive and optimistic attitude with a commitment to problem solving.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills.
-New York, NY
-San Francisco, CA
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.