With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Director of Digital Fundraising and Advocacy is responsible for managing EDF’s Online Membership program. This includes overseeing front-line operations and coordinating online efforts with the Marketing and Content Teams, to ensure engaging content, strategic alignment and brand compliance. This position works in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders to develop and manage innovative and engaging digital marketing campaigns to recruit new leads, convert prospects, cultivate and retain existing donors as well as upgrade donors into higher giving levels, including our monthly sustainer program. This position will also be responsible for assessing and prioritizing if, when and how we integrate new platforms and sources of online revenue and will be responsible for managing the contracts and budgets for our online software and digital promotions. The role manages a total staff of 5 and reports to the Associate Vice President of Membership.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee the online Membership team and leverage Marketing resources to grow our online fundraising and activism programs from top of the funnel down to donor stewardship of our most valuable Membership level donors (up to $5,000 in annual giving).
- Manage online constituent journeys to enhance fundraising and engagements.
- Integrate with the offline Membership team as well as our partners in the Digital Marketing, Advertising and Web teams to maintain holistic engagement strategies across channels.
- Work with the team to develop high-level digital fundraising and advocacy strategies, including honing messaging, directing our communications calendar that integrates into the organization’s larger communication calendar, developing and implementing existing and new online marketing platforms, targeting our audiences with a robust segmentation and testing strategy, and coordinating all of these activities with our Digital Marketing, Advertising and Web teams.
- Oversee day-to-day tactical campaign execution to ensure strong growth of digital revenue.
- Work corss-functionally with other members of the Membership and Marketing leadership team to set the annual online revenue and expense goals. And, inspire the team to meet those goals.
- Align online fundraising strategies with online advocacy strategies as well as offline efforts to enhance Member and Activist engagements and maximize returns.
- Coordinate with the Political Affairs team and policy and program staff to ensure advocacy campaigns support EDF’s broader mission.
- Manage external vendors and consultants against contract deliverables and Statements of Work.
- Collaborate with members of the Membership and Marketing teams, and external providers, to develop analytical reports, assess performance metrics and hone integrated strategies to enhance the performance of our fundraising and advocacy campaigns.
- Coordinates with the team to utilize leading-edge data analytics and predictive modeling techniques to grow the donor base, donor value and net revenue.
- Monitors performance reports across web, email, social and CRM, to measure strategic outcomes and improve tactical processes in coordination with other established metrics.
- Coordinates strategic, data-driven decisions to optimize fundraising and constituent engagements, including email segmentation, landing page designs and paid ad targeting. Oversees testing strategies to improve results across digital channels.
- Oversees new enhancements to systems including workflows, email alerts, automation, lead scoring, auto-generated reports and email templates.
- Acts as Project Manager for any technical enhancements or implementations as related to fundraising and online advocacy management systems, including platform migration and data coordination.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum 8-10 years’ relevant professional experience in digital marketing and fundraising; 3-5 years of team management experience.
- Track record working successfully in matrixed cross-functional teams representing a rich mix of talent, backgrounds, and perspectives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and concisely both in writing and orally.
- Broad knowledge of industry best practices, standard operating procedures, and new approaches to digital fundraising, system integration, and organizational efficiency.
- Demonstrated success maintaining an enterprise-wide perspective and utilizing strong analytical skills to maximize ROI.
- Excellent donor and vendor communications/relations skills.
- Knowledge of planning, finance, budgeting, and development information systems.
- Familiarity with reporting, testing and optimization tools including Google Analytics, Facebook Analytics, and others.
- Exceptional organizational, analytical and strategic planning skills.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to solve problems and excel in a high-performance culture.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply