With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
Under the leadership of the Senior Vice President of Development, the Director, Development provides key strategy and direction to help the organization meet its overall fundraising goals.
The Director, Development will be part of an international development team responsible for generating over HKD 750M (approximately USD 96M) in annual major gifts, with plans to double that amount in the coming years. S/he will be responsible for managing a portfolio of around 75 donors and prospects throughout Hong Kong and Mainland China and other locations as the portfolio grows. Working closely with senior professionals in the Development department as well as with program staff, the Director, Development is expected to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individuals in support of Environmental Defense Fund’s international agenda.
- Plans (in partnership with US based Development Leadership) and executes overall fundraising strategy for EDF’s Hong Kong and Beijing offices.
- Manages a portfolio of major and principal-level donors and prospective donors (25 initially)
- Serves as the principal point of contact for fundraising in Hong Kong and Mainland China for all projects to be undertaken, such as:
- Working closely with the China Program staff to identify new donors, develop fundraising campaigns, and to cultivate prospects in Hong Kong and Mainland China.
- Creating timelines, scheduling, and conducting meetings with EDF executives and staff, trustees, and donors.
- Exploring the creation of a volunteer committee to help with fundraising, education and outreach for EDF’s work.
- Collaborating with the SVP for Development on communications, events, and special research projects.
- Raising awareness of the EDF brand in the Hong Kong market.
- May have supervisory responsibilities, including the management and mentoring of support staff, and assisting with the operations of the Hong Kong office such as finance and registration as needed.
- Any other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The ideal candidate should be able to demonstrate an intellectual curiosity in EDF’s agenda and have experience in successfully fulfilling a similar role in non-profit, higher education or healthcare development, or in the family office arenas. Additionally, s/he should have a clear interest in EDF’s program of work with the ability to work collaboratively and strategically with regional leadership and the wider development team across the organization.
The ideal candidate should possess the following professional attributes:
- Advanced degree and 8 years of demonstrated success in front line fundraising.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the Hong Kong marketplace in order to serve as a trusted advisor to U.S. Development Leadership on which fundraising campaigns would have the highest degree of success in reaching desired donors in Hong Kong.
- Strong political skills with a track record of building non-partisan alliances and a sophisticated understanding of public policy.
- Strategic ability and big-picture problem-solving capacity. Experience with strategies that involve economic and market-based solutions to environmental challenges will be a distinct advantage.
- Well-honed skills in developing donor cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Public presence. Strong communications skills and the experience and inclination to be an effective, outgoing spokesperson for Environmental Defense Fund. A wide network of contacts and ability to develop new networks.
- A high level of comfort with direct donor interaction, including discussions of personal and family finances.
- Knowledge of and ability to use fundraising databases such as Salesforce.
- Well-developed communication skills, including excellent writing ability and public speaking skills.
- Demonstrate creativity, energy, confidence, and integrity as well as a high level of discretion and respect for donor privacy.
- Self-motivated, extremely well-organized, collegial, and capable of functioning with grace under pressure.
- Initiative and independence combined with the ability to work well as part of team.
- Managerial or supervisory experience preferred.
- Fluent in English and Cantonese. Mandarin a plus.
- A commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission and values.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply