With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The Director of Data will act as the functional expert in analytics/reporting areas and as a technologist to meet business objectives with existing or emerging data-centric technologies. The candidate will play a critical role in working with the IT leadership and critical stakeholders in setting the vision for managing data and integrations for enterprise software applications throughout the organization. This person will have significant interaction with internal clients and will lead a team of technical resources and will be responsible for building, implementing and directing data warehouse and business intelligence projects. This includes ensuring that the necessary guidance, processes and resources are in place to drive successful business outcomes.
- Lead the overall architecture, design and development of a scalable Enterprise Data Warehouse from business requirements, through implementation to report development
- Working collaboratively with leaders in IT and key stakeholders, develop strategy and approach for data integrations across the organization, including CRM, HCM, Finance and other systems
- Play a leadership role in data integrations for new ERP system
- Develop master data management strategy. Maintain complete and accurate metadata for source systems, data warehouse and data marts
- Maintain Data dictionaries for source systems, data warehouse and data marts, and maintain documentation on data flows through integrated systems
- Create enterprise policies, guidelines and processes for governing data and metadata
- Provide oversight for database & server performance including recommendations for database performance and tuning, backup and disaster recovery
- Manage a small team comprised of data integration, ETL and report developers, and provide guidance and support to ensure success in their goals and tasks
- Maintain awareness of the evolving data privacy landscape, and coordinate with others in IT, Legal and business units to document and implement best practices
- Develop close working relationships with business stakeholders to identify functional requirements and shape the long term vision for the data warehouse
- Coordinate with analytics talent pools outside of IT, facilitate cross-training and innovation, and collaborate with staff in selecting, introducing and integrating new analytics/data tools into the organization
- Extensive experience with business intelligence tools, designing, reporting and delivering analytic solutions, data management and warehousing, and the strategic use of information
- 10+ years of overall technology and data experience
- 3+ years leading a business intelligence team consisting of data warehouse and reporting teams
- Expert in SQL and experience with enterprise data warehouse and BI tools (Snowflake, Looker, Tableau, etc.), as well as ETL and integration tools (Informatica preferred)
- Expertise in the fields of data quality, data profiling, data security and master data concepts
- Excellent facilitation, verbal and written communication skills that can be used to illicit technical needs, develop and document requirements, communicate status, develop and sell business cases, etc.
- Ability to understand and translate business requirements to technical requirements
- Experience with customer relationship management, marketing analytics and campaign management systems and/or financial reporting, particularly preferred within the non-profit industry
- High degree of organization and ability to manage multiple, competing projects and priorities simultaneously
- Proven experience of managing products, budgets and justifying resource needs to senior leaders and finance partners
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply