With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Director of Business Intelligence will act as functional expert in analytics/reporting areas and as a technologist to will meet business objectives with existing or emerging technologies. The candidate will work on issues with broad technical or strategic implications. This person would have significant interface with the internal clients and increase their confidence in the data warehouse and BI tools used in organization. The candidate should be able a team of technical resources and will be responsible building, implementing and directing data warehouse and business intelligence projects. This includes ensuring that the necessary guidance, processes and resources are in place to drive successful business outcomes. This is a newly created position to drive the data warehouse implementation and adoption in the enterprise.
Strong interpersonal, written and communications skills is a must. This position will report to VP, Enterprise Software Solutions.
- Design a scalable, highly available, fault tolerant, secure infrastructure for the Data Warehouse, BI and ETL platforms that meet business needs
- Lead the overall architecture, design and development of Enterprise Data Warehouse from business requirements to development of logical design, translation to physical design, cubes, ETL and report development
- Manage day to day operations of the BI environment
- Lead the creation and implementation of data modeling, design and standards for the enterprise.
- Develop master data management strategy. Maintain complete and accurate metadata for source systems, data warehouse and data marts
- Maintain Data dictionaries for source systems, data warehouse and data marts
- Create enterprise policies, guidelines and processes for governing data and metadata
- Identify and analyze source data (both internal and external) that is necessary to fulfill business intelligence needs
- Ensure data warehouse and BI security roles and policies.
- Provide oversight for database & server performance including recommendations for database performance and tuning, backup and disaster recovery
- Manage a small team comprised of data integration, ETL and report developer
- Work closely with the IT management and various business stakeholders in defining business requirements and shaping the long term direction of the business intelligence program.
- Develop close working relationships with business stakeholders to identify functional requirements for the data warehouse
- Coordinate with analytics talent pools outside of the data architecture team, facilitate cross training and innovation
- Collaborate with staff in selecting, introducing and integrating new analytics/data tools into the organization.
10+ years of experience architecting, building and scaling Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing solutions.
3+ years leading a business intelligence team consisting of data warehouse and reporting teams
Extensive experience with business intelligence tools, designing, reporting and delivering analytic solutions, data management and warehousing, and the strategic use of information.
Expertise in the fields of data quality, data profiling, data security and master data concepts.
Expertise in using databases, data modeling tools and ETL tools.
Excellent facilitation, verbal and written communication skills that can be used to illicit technical needs, develop and document requirements, communicate status, develop and sell business cases, etc.
Excellent analytic, problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
Ability to work independently as well as in cross functional teams
Ability to understand and translate business requirements to technical requirements
A solid understanding of key BI trends including data lakes, big-data ecosystem, and cloud based platforms, etc.
Experience with marketing analytics and campaign management systems and/or financial reporting a plus
Experience working with Global markets (Internationalization/Localization, LatAM/APAC/EMEA)
Experience delivering software or online solutions in global enterprise environments.
Experience leading and effectively managing a complex platform that is highly reliable and scalable
Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
High degree of organization and ability to manage multiple, competing projects and priorities simultaneously
Ability to think strategically and execute methodically
Excellent communication (verbal and written) and collaboration skills that will enable you to earn trust at all levels
Proven experience of managing products, budgets and justifying resource needs to senior leaders and finance partners
Bachelors/Advanced degree in business or marketing or engineering
Experience working in the IT organizations of non-profit industry a plus
Technical experience and product development experience a plus
Experience with service oriented architecture and Agile development methodologies
Experience using tools to capture user stories, test cases, and sign-offs, etc.
Experience or use of PMP/Lean
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.