Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
EDF Action is the advocacy partner of Environmental Defense Fund. With a dedicated team of lobbyists, political strategists and communications professionals, we build strong, bipartisan support for transformative environmental protections. By cultivating unlikely political support and mobilizing an army of concerned citizens, we work toward revitalizing our fragile wetlands, keeping toxic chemicals out of our homes and bodies and delivering climate change solutions big and small. Wherever environmental rules or legislation are being developed - in the chambers of Congress, the offices of government, or in the state legislatures - EDF Action is there.
The Director, Board & External Relations, is a key staff member of the EDF Action Core Team. Reporting to the President, EDF Action, they manage the organization’s activities related to external relationships, including donors and the Board of Directors, and oversee the internal alignment of a cross-functional team and organization-wide projects. The Director, Board & External Relations, will also provide direct support to the President and serve as trusted advisor to the President and the EDF Action management team.
The position requires an individual who understands how to get things done in a large, complex organization through influence and collaboration. It is also essential that the person have experience in managing high-level relationships and in handling sensitive and confidential information.
Location Note: this role will be based in our Washington DC Office on a fulltime or hybrid basis.
Advisor to the President:
- Act as a key thought partner, advisor, and problem-solver to the President, EDF Action by identifying priorities and strategically aligning staff time to meet those priorities.
- Manage a variety of long-term, cross-organizational projects bringing together important stakeholders.
- Provide communications support including internal and external communications, reports, memos and presentations.
Liaison to Development & Program Staff:
- Serve as the primary liaison between EDF Action and Development, ensuring alignment on donor engagement strategies, proposal plans and other strategic donor communications.
- Guide and participate in strategizing for and raising funds to meet EDF Action and EDF Action PAC fundraising goals year to year.
- Support the President in maintaining strong relationships with key funders, strategic partners and stakeholders.
- Serve as the primary liaison between EDF Action and EDF programs ensuring proper strategic alignment on use of, reporting on and securing of c4 funds.
Manager of EDF Action Board:
- Oversee the preparation and planning for EDF Action Board Meetings
- Manage Director engagement, recruitment, nominations and onboarding of new Directors
- Guide and participate in the management of EDF Action Board Committees
- Support the President in managing interactions with the Board chairs, committee leaders and other Directors.
Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- At least 10+ years of relevant experience, including project/team management experience and experience developing organizational systems and protocols in a nonprofit, political or campaign setting, such as a Chief-of-Staff or similar role might have
- Demonstrated experience managing relationships with senior-level executives and external stakeholders such as board members and donors
- Have exceptional personal organization and attention to detail
- Proven skill at building relationships with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience to engender trust and influence cross-functionally to drive execution toward common goals
- Adaptable to fast and dynamic pace of work and priorities
- Expertise in managing multiple projects concurrently, both independently and as a member of teams in a dynamic and creative environment
- Sound, independent judgment to plan, prioritize and organize a diversified workload
- Demonstrated excellence in polished, clear written/verbal communication to senior and sometimes prominent stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage programs and staff
- A broad understanding of environmental issues and demonstrated ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders in large-scale, multi-initiative studies
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
Please attach a cover letter along with your resume, describing what interests you about this role at EDF.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 125,000 - 136,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply