With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
As one of several donor communications professionals on the Development team, the writer will be responsible for preparing proposals, reports, brochures, fact sheets, donor e-mails, Power Point presentations, and other collateral materials to engage, solicit and steward current and prospective donors. The writer must be able to present complex ideas in clear, lively, concise and compelling prose for diverse donor audiences. This role requires managing multiple time-sensitive and complex projects.
In addition, the writer will work closely with EDF’s Climate program, to develop a communications framework and core messaging for donor audiences. As the primary liaison to the Climate team, the writer will be expected to develop a working knowledge of the program’s major initiatives and funding priorities and communicate those initiatives and priorities to other writers who may be writing on the topic of climate.
This position will report to the Director of Donor Communications and work closely with colleagues across the organization to create persuasive fundraising materials.
- Utilizing exceptional writing and editing skills, draft compelling, high quality, polished documents for diverse donor audiences, drawing from multiple source documents.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively and extensively with development and program staff in carrying out tasks and responsibilities, including with geographically-dispersed colleagues.
- Serve as a partner to the Climate program to develop a communications framework and core messaging for donor audiences.
- Gather information, graphics and photographs to use in donor communications
- Identify needs for new or revised materials
- A Bachelor’s degree with a preferred background in Environmental Studies / Science / Communications
- 5-7 years professional writing experience with at least 2-3 years writing for donor audiences, government agencies or NGOs
- Exceptional writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research, analyze and grasp complex information
- Experience creating persuasive or fundraising communications
- Demonstrated understanding of current trends in fundraising
- Experience at a fast-paced work environment — coming up to speed quickly on complex issues and juggling multiple assignments on deadline
- Ability to produce high-quality documents with an attention to detail
- Experience writing on the topic of Climate Change desired
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply