With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. EDF is searching for a talented development writer who can be based in the New York City or San Francisco office. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
You are a versatile writer who can present complex ideas in clear, lively, concise and compelling prose for diverse donor audiences. You thrive on managing multiple projects at large, fast-moving organizations. As one of several development writers in the donor communications group, you will be responsible for preparing proposals, reports, brochures, fact sheets, mass e-mails, teleconference scripts, Power Point presentations, and other collateral materials on one or more of EDF’s program areas, mostly likely within our climate and energy program. You will serve as a conduit of information between the development team and the program areas you cover. A background in science or the energy sector is a plus. You will report to the director of donor communications and work closely with program, development, and marketing and communications colleagues to create persuasive fundraising materials.
Responsibilities, include but are not limited to:
- Articulating program work and vision for different donor audiences
- Gathering information, graphics and photographs to use in donor communications
- Developing and maintaining productive working relationships across the organization
- Identifying needs for new or revised materials
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree a plus
- 5-7 years professional writing experience
- Exceptional writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research, analyze and grasp complex information
- Experience creating persuasive or fundraising communications material a plus
- Experience at a fast-paced work environment — coming up to speed quickly on stories and juggling multiple assignments on deadline
- Background in science or the energy sector, as well as familiarity with environmental issues will be a plus
- Motivation to develop relationships and work collaboratively across the organization
- Ability to produce high-quality documents with an attention to detail