With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Development Communications Manager will work with the Development Communications team, within EDF’s Development Department, to prepare proposals, reports, briefings, letters of inquiry and other materials to cultivate, secure and steward funding for EDF’s critical priorities.
The Development Communications Manager reports to the Director of Development Communications.
This position location is flexible, preferably in EDF’s New York, San Francisco, or Washington, DC offices. There is opportunity for a hybrid work schedule as well as remote.
- Utilizing exceptional writing and editing skills, draft compelling, high-quality, polished documents (including, but not limited to, proposals, reports, briefings, letters of inquiry and summary documents) for funders, drawing from multiple sources.
- Identify needs for donor materials, including assessing and resolving gaps and other issues in program content, framing and donor positioning.
- Partner with program and executive leadership across our global organization to match strategic vision and approach with donor requirements and stipulations.
- Act as bridge between program work and donors, effectively translating program verbiage and data into appropriate language for donor communications.
- Manage document and process flow, at times involving multiple programs and stakeholders, ensuring deadlines are met with high-quality products.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively and extensively with development and program staff in carrying out tasks and responsibilities, including with geographically-dispersed colleagues.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree with a preferred background in environmental studies/science/ English/communications/political science or other relevant major.
- Minimum of six years demonstrated success in non-profit grant writing or technical writing.
- Knowledge of environmental issues and/or related science issues strongly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and computer literacy.
- Ability to quickly grasp and translate complicated subject matter.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, working well with a wide range of colleagues across geographies.
- Excellent strategic thinking, planning, project management and organizational skills.
- Passion for gaining insights and translating them into effective communications with associated action plans.
- Experience developing and implementing communications plans in cooperation with diverse stakeholders that are high visibility.
- Hands-on experience building and executing on communication strategies that leverage multiple channels to achieve goals with measurable results.
- Well-organized self-starter able to work as a strong team player, as well as independently.
- Self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- An understanding of, and commitment to, Environmental Defense Fund’s mission.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply