Deputy Director, Planned Giving
The Deputy Director, Planned Giving will cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of current and prospective legacy donors located throughout a defined territory. This position will close bequests, charitable gift annuities, other planned gifts and outright gifts through personalized correspondence, telephone calls and face-to-face visits. The Deputy Director will work with the Senior Director of Planned Giving to lead effective strategies and specific projects with planned giving officers designed to increase planned giving commitments from donor constituents and build PG culture within Development department.
The Deputy Director of Planned Giving will be an experienced development professional with the skills to inspire transformational gifts through gift planning and lead a high performing team of gift officers. This position reports to the Senior Director of Planned Giving.
This position can be performed remotely or on a hybrid arrangement out of any of our US-based EDF office location - candidates must currently reside in and be based out of the United States.
- Manage a portfolio of donors in all phases of development including cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. Secure, plan, and engage in face-to-face visits. Ensure planned giving officers have the tools and skills needed to manage their portfolios in this manner.
- Manage planned giving officers to meet team goals of securing split-interest gifts, beneficiary designations and bequests.
- Develop and maintain strong collaborative working relationships with other members of the Development team including Membership and Mid-Level teams, Major Gifts team, and Program staff.
- Utilize Salesforce platform to maximize workflow and enhance donor communications.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with EDF donors at all giving levels. Provide guidance to planned giving officers as they build and maintain strong donor relationships.
- Create compelling, well written request letters, donor proposals, and other correspondence.
- Maintain expertise in legislation and regulations affecting charitable giving.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
Level of Independence and Decision-making:
- Manages planned giving officers to meet team and department goals for securing split-interest gifts and bequests, and beneficiary designations.
- Independently responds to donor inquiries with appropriate information on bequests, life income gifts and other gift planning vehicles and produce associated contracts.
- Considerable judgment and initiative are often exercised in dealing with donors and interpreting policy and procedures.
Analysis and problem-solving:
- Ensure all planned giving officers are able to develop and implement creative and effective solicitation, cultivation and stewardship strategies, able to utilize software and systems to track key metrics, prioritize activities and analyze portfolio status.
- Ensure best practice analysis and problem-solving for portfolio management within the planned giving team.
Management and Leadership:
- Leads strategy for planned giving officer group and guides planned giving officers work plans; contributes to larger fund development strategy by working with membership, mid-level and major gift revenue streams to increase non-cash and structured giving.
- Lead key functions performed by planned giving officers to meet financial, cultivation and stewardship goals. Success in this role leads to maximum current and future revenue for EDF.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 10 years work experience or combination of 8+ years in addition to advanced professional credentials in Planned Giving or similar experience working directly with clients in financial services or estate planning.
- Experience working in a non-profit institution of comparable complexity and scale is preferred.
- Expertise in planned giving vehicles, current trends in philanthropy, and estate and financial planning for individuals, including tax implications of charitable giving.
- Experience managing direct reports and/or a team.
- Ability to apply this knowledge to address individual donor needs and goals, and keep abreast of changes and emerging issues in Planned Giving.
- Proven ability to solicit and close 7-figure planned and outright gifts.
- Exceptional planning, organization, time management, analytical, and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills.
- Capacity to work easily and effectively with a wide range of people, adept at building relationships.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, flexible, collegial, goal-oriented and entrepreneurial environment.
- The highest level of personal and professional integrity and quality standards.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Planned Giving Manager and donor tracking software (preferably Salesforce).
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Commitment to the mission of Environmental Defense Fund.
- Ability to travel up to 25% as needed.
Please include a Cover Letter with your submission.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.