With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Overall Function, Location, Reporting
The Deputy CFO is responsible for developing, implementing and ensuring compliance with sound and prudent financial policies and practices consistent with generally accepted accounting principles and the goals of the Environmental Defense Fund and its subsidiaries around the world. This role is responsible for financial and accounting services, including preparation of financial analyses, income and expense reports, budgets, and governmental reports. They will also be responsible for treasury, direct purchasing, payroll, and other financial operations. They will manage a staff of approximately 11 and works closely with the Board and other senior managers. This position will be located in EDF’s New York headquarters and will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
- Develop, administer, and ensure compliance with EDF accounting policies, procedures and systems, and general accounting management of EDF and its subsidiaries
- Oversee and review the preparation of all financial statements including monthly and year-end close
- Oversee the maintenance of EDF’s general ledger and other accounting records for preparation of the financial statements and other required financial data including the chart of accounts and other relevant control tables pertaining to the accounting system
- Oversee the application of accounting principles and financial statement disclosures
- Oversee reconciliation of financial information across applications
- Oversee accounts payable and payroll functions and teams
- Coordinate all external and internal audits, including scheduling of annual audits.
- Oversee preparation of Forms 1099 and 1096
- Report to CFO, Board and other senior managers on matters relating to compliance, including generally accepted accounting principles and internal control standards
- Support the CFO in written and oral presentations to the Board, its committees and subsidiary boards
- Respond to requests from EDF staff regarding review of grantee financials
- Participate in professional accounting societies; maintain current knowledge of GAAP, FASB and other relevant accounting standards
Investments and Cash Management
- Develop a cash management model; implement and actively manage cash needed for operations
- Liaise with investment advisors and other investment consultants and monitor compliance with investment policies and guidelines
- Oversee investment accounting including endowment accounting
- Develop reports for the Finance Committee’s quarterly meetings
Non-profit Compliance and Planning
- Oversee preparation of EDF tax returns and other financial filings including those for subsidiaries’ required disclosure filings
- Oversee and review estimated payment calculations
- Oversee EDF’s banking relationships and overall control over cash transactions
- Oversee the management of internal banking policies and procedures
- Administer the EDF’s credit card program and online expense reporting system
Payroll and Benefits Processing
- Review and approve payroll processing
- Calculate, manage, and authorize 403(b) and 457(b) transfers
- 15 years of related work experience managing in accounting and financial operations; non-profit finance experience is necessary.
- CPA required; advanced degree preferred.
- Experience working with senior management that equips the candidate to interact professionally with the Board and other senior leaders.
- Strong depth of knowledge of financial accounting standards and procedures.
- Experienced in cash management, banking, and related treasury functions
- Ability to problem solve and work independently, handling and prioritizing multiple time-sensitive projects with a firm commitment to meeting deadlines.
- Ability to actively engage successfully with all levels of staff and across all programs and departments.
- Deep experience managing and developing a team, and exhibits a team orientation style of leadership.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional analytical skills and strong attention to detail.
- An unquestioned track record demonstrating sound judgment, integrity and ethics. An individual with strong character who will quickly gain the trust of others
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply