Data Processing Operator, MethaneSAT
MethaneSAT, LLC, an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is launching a new, high performance, purpose-built satellite—MethaneSAT—to map and measure oil and gas methane emissions worldwide, with the potential to assess emissions from the full range of man-made sources. The satellite will enable us to gather methane emissions data on a global scale and with data from other sources, locate and quantify these emissions. Data from MethaneSAT will help EDF reduce methane emissions by 45% by 2025 and holds the potential to help reduce the temperature of our planet by as much 0.5 degrees C by the end of the century. This could be the most impactful environmental project yet conceived.OVERALL FUNCTION
The Data Processing Operator will work with our scientists and engineers to execute the day-to-day science data processing operations for the MethaneSAT and MethaneAIR missions. MethaneSAT, LLC is responsible for providing the cloud architecture and services, production software, and for executing the data processing operations, as well as managing the end data products for the various user communities.
Working across several organizations, both internal and external, you will strive to understand the overall processing landscape and then prioritize and execute the production operations to ensure MethaneSAT is delivering timely and meaningful data products. The Data Processing operator will own and drive the ongoing science data processing operations and deliverables, incorporating stakeholder needs, addressing problems, and overseeing performance. This position will report to the Data Processing Manager for MethaneSAT, LLC, and will work closely with other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, partners, and EDF staff.
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position that can be performed either 100% remotely from home, or out of any US-based EDF office location. However, this role does require ability to support a standard schedule of 8.5 hours/day, 5 days/week (with some shifts spanning weekends and/or holidays), along with flexibility to support variable shifts depending on changing needs as our Data Monitoring Operator team continues to expand. The immediate schedule candidates should expect for this role is 1st shift, from approximately 6am - 2:30pm ET. After the team is fully staffed, it is MethaneSAT's intent to promote schedule negotiation and stronger shift consistency for employees.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The Data Processing Operator will be responsible for the following:
- Operate multiple MethaneSAT and MethaneAIR cloud-based processing platform instances to produce standard products associated with satellite, aerial, and reprocessing campaigns. Ensure products satisfy the quality standards and the platforms operate to the high-availability operating level agreements.
- Monitor platform dashboards and alarming systems to ensure the processing platform is functioning per capacity expectations and OLAs. Identify, triage, and remediate known processing issues. Escalate platform-wide issues to ensure high-availability operations.
- Configure and initiate processing of Aerial/Reprocessing products in the processing platform. Ensure close coordination with the Science/Advocacy teams regarding processing parameters and special instructions required. Maintain production forecasts and records for manually-initiated production campaigns to ensure alignment and visibility.
- Execute product Quality Control inspections under the umbrella of the MethaneSAT Quality Assurance program. Enter and maintain QC records for continual analysis and quality improvement.
- Create and maintain processing platform operational documentation such as operational procedures, training materials, and knowledge bases.
- Support shift operations to provide multiple shift coverage seven days per week. Provide scheduling flexibility and mission dedication to ensure processing missions staffing targets are met.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
To accomplish these, the Data Processing Operator will provide the daily oversight for data processing operations to include:
- Working closely with the Science Team and MLLC Engineering Leads to navigate differing demands and priorities to execute the daily data production operations.
- Collaborating effectively to identify ongoing priorities for data processing workflows and distilling these into schedules and plans for the production operations.
- Ensuring we are working to a common set of data processing goals and objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or technical discipline, or equivalent experience required.
- At least 1 year of relevant professional experience in data processing or similar computer operations.
- Demonstrated competency using industry standard GIS tools (QGIS, ARCGIS) and analysis applications (Excel)
- Familiarity and experience with Command Line Interface application and scripting. Familiarity with the Python application
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience working within a team and collaborating with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload.
- Affinity for a fast-paced work environment.
- Must be a US person (citizen, green card holder); MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to offer employer-based sponsorship for this role at this time
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.