With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Compensation Manager is responsible for supporting the Director of Total Rewards in all matters relating to compensation and managing the compensation function for EDF. This role will plan, develop and implement new and revised compensation programs, policies and procedures and communications to be responsive to EDF’s goals and practices. This position is also responsible for ensuring through audits, reports and personal interactions that EDF domestic and international compensation programs are consistently administered and in compliance with organizational policies and governmental regulations.
- Monitors the effectiveness of existing compensation policies, guidelines and procedures recommending plan revision as well as new plans that are cost-effective and consistent with compensation trends and organizational objectives; coordinates implementation and provides guidance to HR team and business leaders.
- Provides advice to organizational staff on pay decisions, policy and guideline interpretation, and job evaluation, including the design of creative solutions to specific compensation-related programs.
- Manages the administration of all direct compensation both domestically and abroad, (executive, exempt, nonexempt, fellow, internship programs) all staff levels, including the processing, recording and reporting of compensation-related actions related to salaried and hourly employees.
- Manage and administer all Merit Cycle initiatives including merit pay, promotions, adjustments and bonus payments.
- Develops and applies techniques for compiling, preparing and presenting data.
- Supervises the participation in and conducts and/or purchases domestic and global exempt and nonexempt salary surveys to ensure organizational compensation objectives are achieved.
- Keeps apprised of federal, state and local compensation laws and regulations to ensure company compliance domestically and abroad.
- Responsible for all FLSA testing and compliance initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree required (Human Resources, Finance, Mathematics, Economics, Accounting or Business), advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience in compensation.
- International compensation experience with an understanding of geographic nuance in market data and philosophical differences
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills.
- Previous experience with Workday.
- Very strong Excel skills, including pivot tables and financial modeling.
- Exceptional verbal and written presentation skills, including ability to prepare materials for audiences at all levels of the organization.
- Firm understanding of human resources policies and procedures.
- Positive attitude and ability to remain flexible in an evolving environment.
- Ability to take initiative, make decisions, multitask, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Self-starter with high energy; ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Good judgment to manage sensitive and confidential matters.
- Knowledge of Federal, state and local laws and regulations.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply