With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF is dedicated to protecting people’s rights to clean air and water, healthy and nourishing food, and flourishing ecosystems. Guided by science, EDF evaluates environmental problems and forges innovative solutions that win lasting political, economic, and social support because they are nonpartisan, cost-efficient, and fair.
EDF Action is the advocacy partner of Environmental Defense Fund. With a dedicated team of lobbyists, political strategists and communications professionals, we build strong, bipartisan support for transformative environmental protections. By cultivating unlikely political support and mobilizing an army of concerned citizens, we work toward revitalizing our fragile wetlands, keeping toxic chemicals out of our homes and bodies and delivering climate change solutions big and small.
The Communications Manager, Political Affairs & U.S. Climate is a vital member of the federal communications team, primarily supporting efforts related to EDF and EDF Action’s work on federal policy and climate change.
The Communications Manager, Political Affairs & U.S. Climate, which reports to the Senior Communications Director Climate, Health, and Political Affairs, will help promote EDF and EDF Actions policy goals on key environmental issues including action on climate change.
Core responsibilities include building and executing communications plans to amplify and boost EDF and EDF Action policy objectives, advance our political and legislative goals, and raise the profile of EDF and its senior leaders on climate, clean energy and other environmental issues. This position will be responsible for producing press releases, social media content, reports, facts sheets, web pages, and other materials in a fast-paced environment and with extreme attention to detail. Of particular importance will be cultivation of reporters in Washington, developing relationships that will assist us in gaining exposure for EDF’s policy positions and senior leaders. We are looking for an energetic, nice, hardworking communications professional who will happily, effectively, and quickly accomplish whatever is necessary to get the job done - from the mundane to more elevated professional responsibilities.
Execute communication strategy, including:
- Cultivate and maintain contact with key political and policy reporters both in D.C. and beyond the beltway
- Organize press events and draft media pitches, reporter backgrounders, press releases, op-eds, as needed.
- Pitch stories to reporters and develop media relationships at industry trade publications
- Participate in planning and idea generation to help optimize our digital efforts
- Identify ways to update existing content for new distribution or audiences
- Work with consultants and vendors to garner attention to EDF and EDF Action activities
- Write and edit a variety of other documents - from reports to social media - quickly and well.
- Other tasks as assigned
- At least five years of work experience in media relations working for political, policy, activist, or non-profit organizations; political campaigns; federal, state or local governments in the legislative or executive branch; or other related entity OR five years of work experience as a reporter covering government, related issues, or politics.
- Strong understanding of advocacy and political communications.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organization skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize a varied workload, while adjusting to periodic changes to account for new opportunities.
- Knowledge of environmental and climate issues and politics strongly preferred.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply