With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Communications Manager, Political Action is a vital member of the federal communications team, primarily supporting efforts related to EDF’s advocacy work and EDF Action, EDF’s C4 partner.
The Communications Manager, Political Action will help the team in the goal of building the political power necessary to stop the dismantling of environmental protections and work to ensure the success of pro-environment policy goals.
Core responsibilities include building and executing communications plans to amplify and boost EDF and EDF Action policy objectives. In particular, the incumbent will help ensure environmental issues are recognized as political winners, working to amplify EDF Action’s engagement in election activities and ensure organization policy priorities are heard in both Washington and on the campaign trail. He/she will also draft and edit promotional and digital content for a variety of owned and earned channels. In this role, he/she will be part of a tight-knit team, reporting to the senior communications director of EDF’s political affairs team, while working closely with colleagues on the EDF Action team.
Plan and execute communication strategy, including:
- Develop communications plan aimed at advancing organizations policy/political agenda
- Cultivate and maintain contact with key political and policy reporters both in DC and beyond the beltway
- Organize press events, draft media pitches, reporter backgrounders, press releases, op-eds, social media content, and other materials as needed.
- Pitch stories to reporters and develop media relationships at industry trade publications
- Participate in planning and idea generation to help optimize our digital efforts
- Identify ways to update existing content for new distribution or audiences
- Work with consultants and vendors to garner attention to EDF and EDF Action activities
- Other tasks as assigned
- At least six years of work experience in media relations, working for political organizations; campaigns; federal, state or local governments; or other related entity strongly preferred.
- Strong understanding of political and campaign communications.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organization skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize a varied workload, while adjusting to periodic changes to account for new opportunities.
- Multilingual (Spanish) is a plus.
Interested applicants should attach their cover letter, writing sample, and resume to the application.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply