With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Working closely with and reporting to the Communications Director, Global Clean Air, the Communications Manager, Global Clean Air is responsible for the implementation of aspects of a disciplined, strategic communications campaign to achieve the goals and objectives of the Global Clean Air program and to establish EDF as a thought leader in this area. This position requires an understanding of and keen interest in global air pollution and air quality issues, an ability to manage multiple projects at once and the organizational skills to work across several existing departments and programs. The communications manager will utilize media, marketing, technical and persuasive writing, and political strategy skills, among others, to develop, execute and manage social and traditional communications strategies that advance the goals of EDF’s clean air efforts. The ideal candidate will be an experienced communications professional who is a strategic and creative thinker with experience achieving strong communications results through various traditional and digital channels.
• Develop, manage and execute traditional and social communications strategies that identify key messages, target audiences and multimedia tactics, working closely with program staff and with light supervision by the Communications Director.
• Identify thought-leading external events (conferences, forums, meetings) and pitch program staff as speakers.
• Develop, maintain and track on-going, positive work relationships with key journalists, bloggers, editorial writers, columnists and other opinion leaders.
• Manage the program’s digital media assets, including the Global Clean Air website, Twitter account and LinkedIn promotions. Daily duties will include managing the editorial calendar, developing original content and working with program experts to draft and edit blog posts.
• Secure media coverage of the program’s work in top-tier outlets on a regular basis; prepare program staff for media opportunities.
• Write, edit and promote a broad range of research, content and media materials under deadline pressure.
• Monitor press response to clean air-related news and research.
• Track communications campaign metrics and prepare summaries on a regular basis.
• Manage consultants and mentor communications staff and interns as needed.
• Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• A minimum of 6 years of relevant experience, preferably in environmental communications context.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field or advanced degree may substitute for two years of experience.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills, including ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Proven ability to integrate and coordinate communications efforts across multiple organizations.
• Knowledge of media; established contacts with reporters and editors.
• Computer proficiency in MS Office and familiarity with Internet research.
• Ability to communicate effectively with community organizations.
• Meticulous attention to detail.
• Experience managing contractors (i.e. Web and graphic designers, communications consultants, etc.).
• Demonstrated research and writing skills.
• A bright, self-starter capable of working independently with light supervision.
• Understanding of marketing and media.
• Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
• Interest in environment advocacy.
25% or less of travel is expected for this position.
Can be US - Remote, but must be able to work during EST/CST business hours
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply