Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Communications Manager, Advocacy
EDF Action is the advocacy partner of Environmental Defense Fund. With a dedicated team of lobbyists, political strategists and communications professionals, we build strong, bipartisan support for transformative environmental protections. By cultivating unlikely political support and mobilizing an army of concerned citizens, we work toward revitalizing our fragile wetlands, keeping toxic chemicals out of our homes and bodies and delivering climate change solutions big and small.
The Communications Manager, Advocacy is a vital member of the federal communications team, primarily supporting efforts related to EDF and EDF Action’s work on federal policy and climate change.
The Communications Manager, Advocacy, which reports to the Senior Communications Director Climate, Health, and Political Affairs, will help promote EDF and EDF Actions policy goals on key environmental issues including action on climate change.
Core responsibilities include building and executing communications plans, including social media platforms, to amplify and boost EDF and EDF Action policy objectives, advance political and legislative goals, and raise the profile of EDF and its senior leaders on climate, clean energy, and other environmental issues. This position will be responsible for producing public-facing materials in a fast-paced environment and with extreme attention to detail. The Communications Manager will also play a key role in keeping track of projects across the communications team, and assuring materials are properly reviewed by relevant stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will be an energetic, hardworking communications professional who will effectively, and efficiently accomplish whatever is necessary to get the job done - from the mundane to more elevated professional responsibilities - while keeping a positive attitude.
Execute communication strategy, including:
- Developing, executing, managing and advising on traditional and digital communications strategies and tactics. This includes social media platforms.
- Writing, editing, placing and promoting outreach materials including news releases, statements, opinion editorials, blogs, fact sheets, webpages and social media under deadline pressure.
- Garnering, tracking and amplifying earned media exposure in key media outlets and markets.
- Coordinating multiple levels of approvals for public-facing materials in a timely manner.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Work with consultants and vendors to run multilayered ad buys and otherwise garner attention to EDF and EDF Action activities.
- Assisting with rapid response communications activities as needed.
- Leading communications for Clean Air Moms Action including social media, building brand awareness and visibility during election cycles.
- Collaborate with other departments to develop materials.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- At least six years of work experience in media relations working for political, policy, activist, or non-profit organizations; political campaigns; federal, state or local governments in the legislative or executive branch; or other related entity strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years creating and managing content for social media platforms.
- Strong understanding of advocacy and political communications.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organization skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize a varied workload, while adjusting to periodic changes to account for new opportunities.
- Knowledge of environmental and climate issues and politics strongly preferred.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Washington, D.C. with hybrid work schedule
Full-time (35 hours/week)
Interested applicants should attach their cover letter, writing sample, and resume to the application.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 82,000 - 90,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply