With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Communications Manager, Ecosystems, develops and implements communications and media outreach strategies that further the coastal resilience goals of the Ecosystems Program. He/she also develops and implements communications campaigns that further the goals of Restore the Mississippi River Delta (MRD) - a coalition of five environmental organizations dedicated to restoring Louisiana’s coast, which is vanishing at a rate of one football field every 100 minutes. The Communications Manager reports to the Senior Communications Manager of EDF’s Ecosystems Program.
- Serve as the principal communications liaison with program staff working on EDF’s coastal restoration initiative, advising them on communications strategies that will help the program meet its objectives.
- Serve as EDF’s direct representative, negotiator and decision maker on the MRD’s Communications Committee.
- Identify and attend external events that position EDF program staff as thought leaders.
- Secure favorable media coverage of the program’s work in top-tier, regional outlets.
- Develop/execute communications plans that identify key messages, target audiences, strategies and multimedia tactics, working closely with program and MRD staff and with light supervision by the Senior Communications Manager.
- Help manage MRD’s digital media assets, including its blog, Twitter account and website. Duties include managing editorial calendars, working with authors to draft stories, editing posts and developing original content.
- Write, proofread and distribute a broad range of media materials under intense deadline pressure.
- Prepare program staff for media opportunities as needed.
- Track campaign metrics and prepare summaries on a regular basis.
- Manage junior staff and contractors.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least six years of relevant experience or advanced degree with at least four years’ experience, preferably in a political or issue advocacy context. Environmental media experience a plus.
- Proven ability to integrate and coordinate communications efforts across multiple internal teams and external organizations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience developing and executing strategic communications plans with light supervision.
- Established contacts with reporters and editors and a proven track record of earning national, local and trade media coverage.
- Familiarity with AP Stylebook.
- Ability to develop and manage social media content.
- Computer proficiency in MS Office and familiarity with Cision and other media monitoring tools.
- Estimated 25% travel.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply