With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
Washington D.C. is the preferred location but we can be flexible across all EDF offices.
The EDF Oceans Program works to make sustainable fishing the norm through its programs in U.S., Latin America and Asia Pacific. In our lifetimes, we seek to create thriving, resilient oceans that provide more fish in the water, more food on the plate and more prosperous fishing communities, even with climate change.
The Communications Director for EDF Oceans is responsible for designing and implementing strategic communications campaigns, earned media outreach initiatives, content creation and marketing campaigns that persuasively connect with our target audiences both domestically and in the countries where we operate. The Communications Director brings a strategic, global perspective and strong abilities to take complex, often technical issues and make them accessible and inspiring to decision-makers and media. S/he will assist the Senior Director Global Communications with our overall global marketing and communications effort, including broadening the resonance of our work by creating compelling emotional stories as told from the perspective of the people and communities across all of our geographies.
The Director will oversee earned, paid and owned channels, with a particular focus on global earned media relations and content creation. In addition, the Director will manage the EDF Oceans website and blog strategy, speaking engagements, thought leadership activities, sponsorships, events and collateral development. This position requires an understanding of and keen interest in ocean-related conservation issues, knowledge of key stakeholders in the national and international dialogue related to oceans, fisheries and ocean conservation issues, and an ability to manage multiple, fast-paced projects at once.
The Director will report to the Senior Director, Global Communications and coordinate closely on a day-to-day basis with Oceans Program staff. S/he will manage, mentor and guide a team of professionals who support our communications strategy and activity.
- Assist the Senior Director, Global Communications with developing, implementing and overseeing communications strategies and tactics that advance the Ocean Program’s goals including media outreach, social media, online communications, collateral development, content marketing and stakeholder engagement
- Manage and mentor the Oceans communications team and continually build team skills through training, workshops, etc. to help achieve strong communications results through various channels (media, online, blog, speaking engagements, etc.)
- Collaborate closely with EDF Digital and Creative teams to ensure brand-level assets are coordinated and assisting in reaching key audiences
- Assist with the development of messaging, Oceans Program branding, and integrated issue-marketing campaigns using cross-disciplinary communication and outreach channels for maximum effectiveness
- Direct PR/communications agency support, including developing RFPs, assessing agency expertise, and managing agency teams for excellent results, including setting objectives and tracking results
- Plan and execute events such as press conferences, announcements, speeches and in-person meetings with media and other influential stakeholders
- Create, edit and proofread written, online and video materials under intense deadline pressure
- Build internal capacity to create strong earned media capabilities, including active pitching to a variety of media both in the U.S. and globally. Develop and maintain targeted media lists and tracking mechanisms, and initiate and maintain regular contact and strong relationships with targeted reporters.
- Oversee all social media elements including Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram
- Ensure effective internal communication between Oceans Program leadership and program staff
- Develop and manage relationships with other NGOs and firms engaged in the oceans space to ensure cross-pollination of ideas and strategies
- Track and share metrics around the communications efforts of EDF’s work in the context of the Oceans Program
- Help track emerging opportunities and best practices in the communications field in order to increase engagement opportunities
- Minimum 7-10 years’ marketing/communications experience, preferably in a political or issue advocacy context; environmental media experience is a plus
- Advanced degree in a related field preferred
- Keen understanding of oceans-related conservation issues, including fisheries management strongly preferred
- Proven ability to use communications as a tool to achieve policy and advocacy goals, including a track record of excellent earned media placements
- Superb writing skills and ability to distill complex issues into compelling prose in a variety of formats, from press releases, op-eds, social sharing, blogs, brochures and other collateral
- Strong understanding of design language and ability to think strategically about content creation that engages target audiences
- Strong interpersonal, team management and mentoring skills
- Strong project management capabilities including project tracking and reporting
- Superb marketing strategy awareness and track record of success growing a digital presence
- Strong experience pitching and developing productive relationships with top tier media and track record of producing international, national and regional media coverage
- Experience managing a blog, including blog promotion strategy and implementation and/or online community-building
- Ability to strategize and implement communications projects across multiple platforms for maximum impact
- Experience working with communications consultants/agency support
- Strong presentation skills
- Budgeting and strategic planning skills a plus
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply