With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
EDF has long been a leader in reducing air pollution in the United States by strengthening and defending health-based policies, promoting market-based incentives, and building a broad based, grassroots advocacy campaign through our partner, Moms Clean Air Force. In recent years, we have expanded our efforts to harness new air pollution sensing tools and technologies to tackle air pollution globally. EDF is working with a diverse network of researchers, companies, advocacy partners and government officials to scale new air pollution monitoring and mapping technologies to advance our understanding of health impacts, and empower local actors to identify, advocate for and implement clean air policies around the world.
The Communications Director, Global Clean Air is responsible for designing and implementing a disciplined, strategic communications campaign to achieve the goals and objectives of the Global Clean Air program and to establish EDF as a thought leader in this area.
The Director will oversee traditional and new media relations, website and blog strategy, support speaking engagements, thought leadership activities, events and collateral development related to EDF’s air pollution related work across several EDF programs and departments. This position requires an understanding of and keen interest in global air pollution and air quality issues, knowledge of key stakeholders in the national environmental dialogue, an ability to manage multiple projects at once across the United States, Europe and Asia, and the organizational skills and diplomacy to work across several existing departments and programs.
We are seeking a strategic and creative thinker with a demonstrated ability to develop and execute on a communications strategy for significant impact. A scientifically rigorous project, the director must distill complex scientific and policy issues into simple, accurate and compelling narrative. The Director will report to the Senior Communications Director of Climate, Health and Political Affairs and coordinate closely on a day-to-day basis with the Vice President of Health and the staff of various programs, including Health, Office of the Chief Scientists, Climate, EDF +Business, and Energy. S/he will manage other professionals who support our communications strategy and activity.
- Develop, implement, and oversee communications strategies and tactics that advance the program’s goals including media outreach, social media, online communications and collateral development.
- Manage a team and continually build team skills to help achieve strong communications results through various channels (media, online, blog, speaking engagements, etc.).
- Lead development of messaging for Global Clean Air team; conceive integrated issue-marketing campaigns using cross-disciplinary communication and outreach channels for maximum effectiveness.
- Direct PR/communications agency support, including developing RFPs, assessing agency expertise, and managing agency teams for excellent results.
- Provide constructive, value-add support to multiple project areas and teams; develop and sustain high functioning teams that deliver high quality results.
- Manage multiple staff members.
- Plan and execute events such as press conferences and in-person meetings with media and other influential stakeholders.
- Create, edit and proofread written, online and video materials under intense deadline pressure.
- Maintain online and traditional media relations and maintain regular contact and strong relationships with targeted reporters.
- Oversee all social media elements including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Prepare program staff with training and advice for communications opportunities.
- Develop and manage relationships with other NGOs and firms engaged in the air pollution space to ensure cross-pollination of ideas and strategies.
- Minimum 10 years’ marketing/communications experience, preferably in a political or issue advocacy context, environmental media experience is a plus
- Experience running communications for an advocacy campaign
- Experience using social science research and message testing to inform communications and outreach strategies that can strengthen overall strategy and goals
- Experience in the environmental or health field; or on a science and policy heavy topic/campaign
- Experience working in a matrixed organization with multiple internal/external stakeholders and teams and consultants spanning the globe
- Proven ability to use communications as a tool to achieve policy goals
- Strong team management and mentoring skills
- Superb marketing strategy, writing, editing and communications skills
- Experience pitching and developing strong relationships with top-tier media; familiarity with environmental media a plus
- Experience managing a blog, including blog promotion strategy and implementation and/or online community-building
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply