With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- The Summer Intern will report to the Clean Energy Director and will work closely with all members of the NY Clean Energy team.
- Research existing structures for interagency collaboration, both within individual states and across multiple states. Identify opportunities for establishing such structures in the Northeast region.
- Research Federal regulations applicable to flood insurance.
- Identify and quantify significant regional assets (e.g. power plants, water treatment plants, etc.) in coastal areas prone to flooding to assess the potential impacts of sea level rise over 30 years.
- In collaboration with EDF economists and lawyers, research regional public service commission filings, as deemed appropriate, for regulatory matters aligned with ongoing Clean Energy work.
- Identify regional environmental justice partners operating in Northeast states and coordinate activities in the roll out of strategies.
- Draft and finalize a report relative to the findings of this project and provide a briefing to the leadership team of the Clean Energy program regarding the report and various findings and recommendations.
- Demonstrated interest in and ability to conduct independent research with limited direction.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior skills in MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- An understanding of and commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission of protecting the natural environment and limiting humankind’s impact on the planet.
- Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team setting and have the ability to work independently when projects are due.
- Demonstrate initiative and problem solving skills.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.