With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The intern will join EDF Global Strategy team in New York and assist managers and other EDF staff that are involved in EDF China’s operation and projects. The intern’s primary responsibilities include - creating periodic news updates related to specific projects, editing news articles, executing ad-hoc projects as assigned by the team members. The intern will learn about EDF’s international operation and projects in China and develop practical skills to work in a bilingual and cross time zone environment.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Edit or translate contents for different projects, including but not limited to subjects related to Emissions Trading Systems (ETSs), green supply chain, energy policies, and Chinese environmental and economic policies and initiatives.
- Create periodic news update on China’s national carbon market policies as well as other energy and environment-related development.
- Help execute ad-hoc research projects related to China’s environmental development and international climate policies.
- Help gather data and information from both English and Chinese publications as required.
- Provide administrative support to team members as required such as note-taking, event preparation, etc..
- Excellent skills in English, verbal and written required; fluent in Mandarin is preferred;
- Ability to edit or translate news and academic contents both from Chinese and English sources within deadlines;
- Completed coursework in environmental studies, economics, social sciences, or international policies preferred;
- Strong interest in learning about US-China environmental development;
- General knowledge about China’s environmental issues, climate change policies, and proposed instruments for environmental management (e.g. ETS, green supply chain, etc.);
- Strong work ethics and willingness to learn by doing;
- Well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented;
- Applicants for internships should be currently enrolled in a relevant undergraduate or graduate program with at least two years collegiate experience by the start of the internship.
New York, NY
Spring 2019, from April 1 to May 31
Part time, 2 - 3 work days per week
To be considered for an internship with the Environmental Defense Fund, please apply by submitting your resume and a cover letter. Please also indicate whether or not you are able to work for class credit and/or note any work-study or grant money you may be able to provide.
This internship would involve either compensation for hourly work paid at a rate competitive with leading non-profits or academic credit. Students are encouraged to seek academic credit or funding through their college/university and EDF will ensure that any and all paperwork needed to secure academic credit is completed.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply