Environmental Defense Fund (edf.org), a leading international nonprofit organization, creates transformational solutions to the most serious environmental problems. EDF links science, economics, law and innovative private-sector partnerships. Connect with us on EDF Voices, Twitter and Facebook.
Are you interested in exploring a career at an internationally-recognized environmental organization? By joining EDF as an Intern, you too can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life. EDF’s Internship Program welcomes intellectually hungry leaders to join us, advance our work, and cultivate the skills and relationships needed for a successful career working for the environment. Alumni of our Internship Program have gone on to important leadership positions, most notably our own President, Fred Krupp. Could you be the next Fred Krupp?
EDF offers internships and fellowships for students and recent graduates in a variety of programs and departments throughout the organization. The ultimate goal of our internship and fellowship program is to provide high-quality experiences (including relevant projects and opportunities for networking) that form the foundation for any individual who is serious about pursuing an environmental career.
China has experienced a rapid economic growth in the past decades, accompanied by increasingly deteriorating environment. EDF has been on the ground in China since 1991, developing market-based solutions to help the Chinese government tackle tough environmental challenges. EDF is one of the first officially registered foreign environmental organizations in China and has a representative office in Beijing. EDF’s China team is based in Beijing, Shanghai, New York, Washington, D.C. and San Francisco. EDF’s current goals are to help ensure the success of China’s national carbon market, align its domestic agenda to control air pollution with its global climate targets, and drive low-carbon investment in nations throughout the Belt and Road Initiative in the next 5 years.
Zhuli Hess, Senior Manager, Global Strategy
The intern will join EDF Global Strategy team in New York and assist managers and other EDF staff that are involved in EDF China’s operation and projects. The intern’s primary responsibilities include – creating periodic news updates related to specific projects, translating documents and news articles from English to Chinese (or vice versa), executing ad-hoc projects as assigned by the team members. The intern will learn about EDF’s international operation and projects in China and develop practical skills to work in a bilingual and cross-timezone environment.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Translate contents from English to Chinese (or vice versa) for different projects, including but not limited to subjects related to Emissions Trading Systems (ETSs), green supply chain, energy policies, and Chinese environmental and economic policies and initiatives.
- Monitor and collect latest news on China’s national carbon market policies as well as other energy and environment-related development; create periodic updates for distribution
- Conduct ad-hoc research or develop summaries related to China’s environmental development and international climate policies.
- Help gather data and information from both English and Chinese sources as required.
- Provide administrative support to team members as required such as note-taking, event preparation, etc.
- Native-level English and Mandarin Chinese speaker;
- Well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented;
- Demonstrated ability to translate professional contents between English and Chinese;
- Professionally trained in English and Mandarin Chinese interpretation or translation is a strong plus;
- Completed advanced coursework in environmental studies, economics, social sciences, or international policies;
- Has a good sense of the current US-China environmental development;
- In-depth knowledge about China’s environmental issues, climate change policies, and proposed instruments for environmental management (e.g. ETS, green supply chain, etc.);
- Strong work ethics and willingness to learn by doing;
- Graduate degree or currently pursuing a graduate degree preferred, an undergraduate degree is required to be considered.
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- A self-starter with strong ability to work and complete tasks independently under minimum supervision
New York, NY
21 – 35 hours/week
Interested applicants should attach their cover letter and resume to the EDF application, together with an example of translation in English and Chinese.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.