With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
EDF China Program has helped lay the groundwork for great ambition with the potential for tremendous impact in China. The next few years are a time when the rubber will meet the road. Resources in the next few years can make the difference between setting China on the path to lasting low carbon momentum or seeing some of our solid efforts threatened by backsliding. As the U.S. has ceded power for climate leadership on the international stage, China has started to step in. EDF China Program works in areas spanning climate, air quality, biodiversity, and cross-cutting initiatives.
The intern will join EDF's Global Strategy team in New York and assist managers and other EDF staff that are involved in EDF China's operation and Emissions Trading System-related projects. The intern's primary responsibilities will include - creating periodic news updates related to specific projects, translating documents and news articles from English to Chinese (or vice versa), and executing ad-hoc projects as assigned by the team members. The intern will learn about EDF's international operation and projects in China and develop practical skills to work in a bilingual and cross timezone environment.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Translate contents from English to Chinese (or vice versa) for different projects, including but not limited to subjects related to Emissions Trading Systems (ETSs), green supply chain, energy policies, and Chinese environmental and economic policies and initiatives.
- Help execute ETS research projects related to China's environmental development and international climate policies.
- Create periodic news update on China's national carbon market policies as well as other energy and environment-related development.
- Help gather data and information from both English and Chinese publications as required.
- Provide administrative support to team members as required such as note-taking, event preparation, etc.
- Ability to translate academic contents between English and Chinese within deadlines.
- Completed coursework in environmental studies, economics, social sciences, or international policies preferred.
- Demonstrated strong interest in learning about US-China environmental development
- General knowledge about China's environmental issues, climate change policies, and proposed instruments for environmental management (e.g. ETS, green supply chain, etc.)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team setting and have the ability to work independently when projects are due.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving skills.
- Applicants for internships should be currently enrolled in a relevant undergraduate or graduate program with at least two years of collegiate experience by the start of the internship.
- Proficient in English and Mandarin Chinese (Simplified Characters preferred)
New York, NY
3 months during Spring 2020
This internship would involve either compensation for work paid at a rate competitive with leading non-profits or academic credit. Students are encouraged to seek academic credit or funding through their college/university and EDF will ensure that any and all paperwork needed to secure academic credit is completed.
Full-time, 35 hours per week, or part-time, 20 hours per week.
To be considered for an internship with the Environmental Defense Fund, please apply by submitting your resume and a cover letter. Please also indicate whether or not you are able to work for class credit and/or note any work-study or grant money you may be able to provide.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply