With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) will be responsible for firmly establishing excellence in EDF’s technology functions. A key member of the organization’s management committee, the CIO will be responsible for ensuring that EDF’s software, hardware, connectivity and networking systems, technology contract management, and customer services are simple, timely, cost effective and customer driven, and that they support both its internal infrastructure requirements as well as its external web sites.
The CIO will supervise a growing staff of global IT professionals and is expected to take on a significant “player/coach” role, assessing talent and building a world-class structure to support the needs of EDF as a whole. You will motivate staff members to solve strategic and tactical problems, as well as managerial and process issues.
The CIO reports to the Chief Administrative Officer and leads a team of about 30 staff.
- Deliver integrated systems across the organization, leading on a major ERP discovery, selection and implementation project. Select a new ERP, post assessment of EDF’s current portfolio of applications, which includes a blend of legacy and standard applications, supporting the back-office, CRM, Finance, and Human Resources functions.
- Continued standardization of applications where possible while investing in next generation tools in digital and mobile technologies and adopting cloud services where practical.
- Develop and leverage “big data” in scale with the organization, enhancing internal capability and partnering with external organizations to drive better decision-making and support for the organization.
- Lead the development and enforcement of policies and procedures to ensure the security, integrity, and privacy of information and the protection of IT assets. Use all available methods and industry best practices to protect EDF against cybersecurity attacks. Make recommendations and provide updates to the Board of Directors and leadership to ensure organizational awareness of cybersecurity threats. Ensure EDF’s IT environment is secure and that the appropriate processes and controls exist to protect the company’s assets from unwanted breach.
- The CIO will need to assess and recommend the most appropriate IT model to support the business and its growth objectives. Utilizing strategic partners and cloud solutions in a consistent and pragmatic manner will be a key aspect of the CIO’s mandate.
- Developing, implementing, and leading all of EDF’S technology functions, many of which need to become more efficient and effective in light of EDF’s growth and increased complexity.
- Acting in a value added, decision support role for direct reports, identifying and analyzing strategic, operational and financial options; identifying the risks involved in key decisions, and making recommendations.
- Working effectively with internal teams (Programs, Marketing and Communications, Finance, Administration, and Human Resources) to ensure their confidence in technology functions and to provide them with the information and tools they need for optimal performance.
- Preparing and keeping current a three year technology plan and the financial and operational plans required to track performance.
- Ensuring that all technology projects meet requirements and are delivered on time and within budget, continuously striving to maintain high standards of effectiveness.
- Actively assisting in all strategic planning efforts both through thought leadership and the application of business analytics.
- Designing and implementing technology policies and procedures that will be effective in EDF’s culture and support the organization’s mission.
- Mentoring, coaching and developing staff, assigning fundamental responsibilities in a way that allows individuals to grow and succeed.
- Consistent track record as a Chief Information Officer in a similarly sized company or divisional CIO experience in a large, well regarded business. You should have at minimum 15 years of IT operations, application development, PMO, and regional/divisional CIO experiences in roles of increasing complexity.
- Past experience creating IT operating models with metrics that impact bottom line. You have demonstrable experience working in distributed environments with a blend of internal, outsourced, and off-shore resources.
- You have proven experience leading innovative digital enterprise transformation and implementing the adoption of modern technologies such as cloud, big data/analytics and emerging technologies to enable productivity and global growth at scale. You will have past experience delivering solutions and supporting growth through continuous learning and staying ahead of the curve with innovations in IT.
- Experience delivering on complex ERP implementations.
- Experience developing, innovating and implementing security policies, processes and controls to protect EDF’s digital assets. Solid grasp of industry best practice including cybersecurity and risk management.
- Experience leading and developing dynamic teams of 10+ staff members. Team-building skills and a collaborative leadership style with the ability to empower and inspire staff and encourage staff development, as well as the capacity to instill accountability and learn the strengths and weaknesses of a team in order to position teams for success
- Effective executive leadership skills, confident presenting to a Board and other senior internal / external partners.
- Significant change management / transformation and organizational design experience in high growth, turnaround or transformational environments focused on delivering top line and bottom-line results in innovative and creative ways.
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to balance multiple priorities. Demonstrates creativity and innovation in problem solving and applying appropriate methodologies relevant to the complexity of the challenge. Experience collaborating with internal and external resources to develop strategies that meet department goals within budget and established timelines and working with all facets of IT infrastructure and IT operations.
- Broad financial, budget management and business insight including the ability to develop strong business cases linked to overall company objectives. A consistent track record of developing Return On Investment oriented IT strategies, gaining support from the executive team, and then delivering the outcome.
- Past experience working in a high transaction, Omni-channel environment. Exposure to a customer focused, services business model and past experience leveraging technology to deliver the highest customer experience is preferred.
- Advanced degree in a relevant field required, such as Business or Computer Science
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply