With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
OVERALL FUNCTION, LOCATION, REPORTING
The AVP, Financial Planning and Analysis (AVP FP&A) will be responsible for EDF’s financial performance and reporting including all analysis and management reporting, and all trustee related financial reporting. These include GAAP and Operating P&L reporting; Cash Flow; Statements of Functional Expense and Statements of Net Assets; and select Project and/or Top Donor (grant/foundation/gift) reports. Responsibilities include leading EDF’s annual and monthly budgeting, planning, and forecasting processes. This role aligns closely and supports each of EDF’s major organizational units (including Financial Operations) to ensure full alignment with financial forecasting and reporting consistency. S/he will ensure that EDF’s ongoing financial management originates from a single source of truth by leveraging the design and implementation of a planned NetSuite ERP (2020). S/he is also responsible for leading the planning for economic and managerial impacts of Overhead and Indirect expenses, including providing guidance across the organization for consistent proposal budget development. S/he will manage a team of approximately eight and will have dotted line management to a larger number of financial operations staff in program areas. This position will be located in EDF’s New York headquarters and will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
Lead and oversee the annual planning & budgeting processes for EDF and its subsidiaries
- Lead and oversee monthly financial reporting to EDF President & his direct reports
- Lead and oversee preparation for Trustee reporting for Committee prep and for the full Boards of Trustees for EDF and related entities (and internationally as appropriate), three times per year.
- Lead and oversee periodic financial reporting to Executive Team & Leadership Council as appropriate.
- Develop, administer, and ensure compliance with EDF financial planning, budgeting, and analysis policies, procedures and systems.
- Direct ongoing management of the Managerial Accounting Principles (MAP) at EDF and its subsidiaries.
- Lead and oversee monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial forecasting and reporting.
- Oversee all elements of EDF’s Financial Planning & Analysis tools, including migration to a new ERP system (in 2020).
- Manage, develop, and hire staff
- Oversee development of team workplans, execute annual performance assessments, and support training and professional development of staff
- Serve as a member of the CFO’s senior team
- Partner with and provide leadership to the Financial Operations (Fin Ops) resources who are organizationally aligned with individual program areas, including ensuring Fin Ops has the appropriate roles and responsibilities vis-à-vis the Finance Department. Arrange and ensure training is provided for these roles and responsibilities.
- Oversee critical ties to expense management, efficiency and effectiveness practices and organization-wide initiatives in these areas.
- Oversee all overhead and indirect expenses. Provide EDF with appropriate off-cycle views of those budgets including demonstrating granularity and compliance as required and aligned with expense accounting needs (for grant and/or donor compliance, etc.).
- Support the CFO in written and oral presentations to the Board, its Committees and subsidiary boards
- Respond to requests from EDF staff regarding review of grantee financials.
- At least 12 years of related work experience managing in accounting and financial operations; non-profit experience a plus.
- CPA required; advanced degree preferred.
- Knowledge of financial accounting standards and procedures. An unquestioned track record demonstrating sound judgment, integrity and ethics. An individual with strong character who will quickly gain the trust of others.
- Ability to problem solve and work independently, handling and prioritizing multiple time-sensitive projects with a firm commitment to meeting deadlines.
- Ability to actively engage successfully with all levels of staff and across all programs and departments.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional analytical skills and strong attention to detail.
- Experience as a team-oriented leader with highly developed interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with senior management that equips the candidate to interact professionally with the Board and other senior managers.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply