With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. As a leading green non-profit/NGO with programs from Boston to Beijing, we have tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
The AVP Finance – Revenue and Growth is a newly created role reporting to the CFO and will join the team as EDF’s infrastructure team evolves to meet the needs of a robust organization with ambitious plans to increase its revenues and expand into new locations around the world. To that end, this individual will be a confident builder who can partner strategically with key units, including EDF Programs, Development, and IT.
Likewise, the AVP will be an integral leader in EDF’s global growth, making certain that the latest digital tools, best-in-class techniques and practices are employed, can scale appropriately and work seamlessly alongside governance best practices. Along with the CFO and other senior Finance leaders, the AVP – Revenue and Growth will develop financial infrastructure, systems and processes required to accelerate the growth of this entrepreneurial organization. S/he will be responsible for all the firm’s pipeline, growth resource performance, and revenue performance measures to define and achieve business objectives, operational goals and growth strategies.
S/he will serve as a finance business partner to the Executive Team, the CFO, and the Board, and will manage a small staff. This position will be in EDF’s New York headquarters and will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
- Maintain executive responsibility for all financial aspects of revenue, growth, analytics, and strategy and for achieving the organization’s growth goals & objectives.
- Using and implementing strong process, systems, data, analytical, reporting, and visualization capabilities, provide maximum transparency into all aspects of the organization, the revenue, the pipeline, and processes surrounding growth.
- Leverage or develop strong understanding of nonprofit finance, including program complexities, as well as diversified financing & revenue sources.
- Aid in the development of continuously improving project and program budgeting, grants management transparency, and donor reporting capabilities.
- Ensure developed infrastructure capabilities scale, achieve legal and regulatory compliance, and strongly facilitate consistency and continued global expansion.
- Support ad hoc growth, general decision-support, and/or strategy analysis from CEO, Head of Development, Trustees, Executive Team members, and leadership.
- Develop, maintain, and report on robust financial and analytical modeling to aid in strategic and tactical long- and short-range budgeting and forecasting and direct financial resource allocation and asset allocation decision-making.
- Analyze financial results to support strategic decision-making and develop financial projections for long-range planning.
- Establish and maintain stable cash flow projections associated with tactical and strategic growth modeling for initiatives.
- Work closely alongside senior finance colleagues in the development and preparation of the annual operating budget and capital budget for presentation to the Board of Directors. Establish budget input procedures and identify annual budget needs.
- Work closely alongside accounting operations in order to ensure explicit integrity and feedback from key management controls owned by AVP Finance – Revenue & Development.
- Analyze and provide explanation of deviations from the plan to the Executive Team and Board of Directors.
- Prepare charts, graphs, and trend information and conduct special studies as requested by the Board of Directors.
- Provide oversight and guidance for all non-program-related functions of the organization including general policies and procedures, facilities, lease contracts, corporate insurance, security, contingency planning, inventory and other functions.
- Lead and/or participate in various process improvement initiatives, including systems enhancements and/or conversions.
- Manage, develop, and hire staff
- 12 years of related work experience managing in accounting and financial operations; non-profit experience a plus.
- CPA required; advanced degree preferred.
- Possess a big-picture enterprise view as well as excellent financial and accounting skills and strong operational abilities.
- Knowledge of financial accounting standards and procedures.
- Exceptional communication skills including ability to communicate in non-financial language, can translate and teach financial literacy, and is a strong writer and communicator.
- Proven ability to be a strategic business partner. Demonstrated broad business competency and mastery of management skills required to build quality business practices and add value to an organization by providing decision support, planning and control over operations.
- Knowledge of federal acquisition regulations and grant/contracts management a plus.
- Frequent and substantive engagement with the Board of Directors and Board committees a plus.
- Flexible, innovative and results oriented.
- An unquestioned track record demonstrating sound judgment, integrity, trustworthiness, and ethics
- Passionate about the mission of the organization and understanding of the realities of the nonprofit sector.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply