With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Program: Political Affairs
The Associate Vice President (AVP), Federal Affairs is responsible for managing the federal affairs team which conducts outreach to the Administration, lobbies Capitol Hill, creates and manages relationships with other environmental groups, and oversees the development of policy positions and legislative strategy. In this senior leadership role, the AVP will help form and execute the organization’s advocacy and political strategies. This position reports to the Senior Vice President, Political Affairs.
- Oversee and manage a team of about 10 professionals, including lobbyists and others engaged in political advocacy. Design and oversee strategies for advancing EDF’s policy goals across various programs. Develop tactics and push efforts forward to completion. Coordinate federal advocacy efforts across the organization.
- Develop and implement strategies for highlighting EDF as a key stakeholder on Capitol Hill and throughout the environmental community, and to ensure EDF is a trusted resource for policy makers.
- Coordinate with other environmental NGOs and represent EDF at meetings, conferences, and forums. Represent EDF’s views and look for creative ways to collaborate with allies in this space.
- Manage consultants to ensure that EDF is leveraging these assets to maximum effect toward our legislative and policy goals.
- Engage in fundraising support activities and collaborate on proposals and reports required by grantors or other requesting parties.
- Manage a budget and staffing requirements for the team.
- Undertake and complete special projects as assigned by the Senior Vice President.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 10 years of related work experience. Previous management experience is required. Ability to lead a diverse team toward a common goal and coordinate a complex advocacy plan. Hill experience is a plus.
- Displays an expert level knowledge of political strategy, legislative advocacy, and coalition building. Experience in the environmental advocacy arena is also a benefit.
- Shows examples of driving policy initiatives forward toward completion. Demonstrates agility in a fast moving environment.
- Demonstrable project management skills, including strong organization skills and leadership ability.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Creative and innovative thinker willing to challenge the status quo and propose new ideas and opportunities.
- Experience managing a diverse workload and competing demands.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply