With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Associate Corporate Counsel, Political Law, will be responsible for serving as the principal legal advisor on political law matters for EDF, a 501(c)(3) organization, EDF Action, a 501(c)(4) organization, as well as other EDF-affiliated entities. The Associate Corporate Counsel will bring experience and expertise on the laws and regulations pertaining to lobbying, campaign finance, and exempt-organizations to guide and advise staff on planning and executing EDF/EDF Action projects, campaigns and communications. As the advocacy partner of EDF, EDF Action works with a dedicated team of lobbyists, political strategists and communications professionals, to build strong, bipartisan support for transformative environmental protections.
He or she will be responsible for supervising the organization’s regulatory compliance function and staff, and will manage the internal and external legal resources to develop and implement compliance programs (including trainings and guidelines) with respect to political law. The Associate Corporate Counsel will report to EDF’s Corporate Counsel and work closely with the Political Affairs team, with a dual reporting relationship to EDF Action’s President.
- Serve as a lead advisor for matters relating to lobbying, campaign finance and election laws, political activity, government ethics and other regulatory compliance issues.
- Assist in crafting and editing public communications and other media to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Manage regulatory compliance function of the Legal & Compliance Department.
- Ensure EDF, EDF Action and affiliated organizations are properly registered for all regulated activities and reporting as required.
- Develop and manage the legal resources, staff and outside counsel to implement compliance functions and provide staff with timely legal advice.
- Draft policies and guidelines for staff and conduct trainings on political law topics.
- Juris Doctorate required
- Licensed to practice law in at least NY, CA or DC required
- At least five years’ experience, combination of firm and in-house experience
- Expertise in political law a must, knowledge of exempt-organizations law a plus
- Demonstrated management experience
- Results-oriented, self-starter with the ability to think strategically and work on fast-paced, dynamic issues. Ability to find creative solutions and exercise good judgment
- Ability to work both independently and as a leader or member of teams with colleagues and partners of varied background and experience
- Able to prioritize and be flexible
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Location: Washington, D.C.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply