With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The in-house legal team is responsible for managing legal risk for the organization as well as its affiliate entities. As the organization grows, this team plays a critical role in ensuring that all of EDF’s work and operations are compliant with laws and regulations. The in-house team is laying the foundation for the organization to continue expanding.
The Associate Corporate Counsel will be an in-house corporate generalist primarily focused on the drafting, negotiation and review of contracts and grants and supporting the organization on various legal projects as necessary for Environmental Defense Fund and its affiliate entities.
· Review and negotiate all forms of contracts, including grants, service agreements, non-disclosure agreements, memoranda of understanding and third party agreements with vendors and partners.
· Advise various programs and departments on legal issues and risk mitigation strategies relating to contracts being reviewed and negotiated.
· Assist the Corporate Counsel in managing outside counsel, including regarding operations in foreign countries and expansion to new foreign locations.
· Assist the Corporate Counsel with complex or sensitive issues facing the organization while effectively and efficiently utilizing resources such as administrative personnel, outside counsel or experts, if required.
· Provide support for corporate governance matters, including drafting board resolutions.
· Assist the Corporate Counsel in implementing and improving on organization-wide policies aimed at risk-reduction.
· Manage various other legal projects and duties as required by the Corporate Counsel, and as driven by organizational needs.
· Law degree
· Active Bar membership
· More than 5 years working experience in practice area
· Applies specific professional level functional knowledge to solve problems requiring the identification and analysis of moderately complex variables. The in-house legal team is responsible for managing legal risk for the organization as well as its affiliate entities. As the organization grows, this team plays a critical role in ensuring that all of EDF’s work and operations are compliant with laws and regulations. The in-house team is laying the foundation for the organization to continue expanding.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply