Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Location: Hybrid 2-3 days in-office New York, Boston, Washington, DC or Remote US
Investors represent a powerful force in accelerating the shift to a more sustainable and resilient economy. They influence the flow of trillions of dollars and are under increasing pressure to use their influence to drive change at carbon-intensive companies and to align investment portfolios with a more resilient future. Our vision is that by 2025, leading investors will be competing for climate leadership and using their influence and capital to drive change across carbon-intensive industries and scale investment in low carbon solutions.
Reporting to the Director of Investor Influence, the Natural Climate Solutions (NCS) Analyst will conduct data-driven research and analysis on NCS, carbon credits and carbon markets to help institutional investors and companies ensure optimal impacts. This role will help to inform and amplify the new “ESG By EDF: Actionable Insights for a Decarbonizing World” platform, which aims to leverage EDF’s world-leading expertise in climate science, economics, and public policy to inform rigorous assessment and constructive engagement with carbon-intensive industries. Through this platform, we intend to equip the financial community with the independent analysis and tools needed to manage climate risk, assess opportunities, and accelerate urgent action in the sectors that matter most.
As a member of the EDF+Business Investor Influence team, the position’s responsibilities will include:
- Compiling data and performing timely in-house analysis on the use of natural climate solutions and voluntary carbon markets as a tool in net zero plans of investors and carbon-intensive companies.
- Interfacing with the range of EDF experts specializing in NCS and carbon markets, and leveraging this work to develop actionable insights and recommendations that investors can use in evaluating and engaging companies on natural climate and sustainable finance solutions.
- Developing a deep understanding of global carbon markets, carbon regulation and ways investors can support their rapid and high-quality growth.
- Engaging with leading climate finance institutions including CDP, GFANZ, SBTi, ISSB and others to share learnings and encourage best practice.
- Supporting research and analysis for the “ESG By EDF” platform and the Investor Influence team. This entails translating complex, technical subject matter into language that resonates with and helps drive desired behavior by investor audiences. Products could include long form reports, blogs, digital/social media, reporter memos, and infographics.
- Participating in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
We are seeking candidates who have a demonstrated ability to conduct rigorous research, analysis, outreach, communications and relationship management in sustainable finance or a closely related field. Candidates must have exceptional problem-solving and interpersonal skills, work collaboratively within the EDF team, and be able to build strategically and mutually beneficial relationships with external players and institutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in sustainability, finance or a related field with 3 years of professional experience; or Master’s degree with at least 1 year experience.
- Demonstrated interest in climate change.
- Experience with natural climate solutions or carbon markets.
- Excellent research, analytical, outreach, communications and relationship management skills in support of highly visible work.
- Willingness to take initiative and ability to multi-task under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in managing projects.
- Keen attention to detail to ensure consistency and quality of outputs.
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other office productivity software.
- Expert writing and editing skills targeted at financial sector audiences.
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in English.
- Ability to support a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize a diversified workload.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 57,000 - 64,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply