With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Advocacy Field Project Manager will report to the Senior Political Director to develop and implement a national grassroots field and organizing strategy for the 2018 election and beyond. The Advocacy Field Project Manager will enhance our advocacy engagements by activating EDFAction, EDF, Moms Clean Air Force, and Defend Our Future’s members, activists, and grasstops in politically important states. This local organizing will be strategically focused on EDF’s top environmental priorities to support political and policy goals and to influence state and federal legislators and other key decision makers.
This work will focus on crafting a national field strategy in and around the 2018 election, strategically harnessing membership and activist lists throughout the organization to maximize political impact, including effective use of the political identifying grassroots leaders in target states, building relationships with these leaders, providing content to support local organizing, coordinating local events and other on-the-ground engagement opportunities, and establishing benchmarks and goals for our grassroots organizing efforts. Beyond the election, the position will focus on building out and leveraging these field assets to target, influence local, state, and federal decision-makers, and coordinate closely with leadership development programs in EDF to enhance and strengthen our activists’ influence.
The Advocacy Field Project Manager will also work in partnership with field organizers from other EDF initiatives as well as other environmental organizations.
- Assist with developing national field strategy for achieving state and federal political and legislative priorities, working to coordinate across programs and brands to effectively harness all existing resources
- Organize and develop materials for online and offline activism
- Strategically manage member and activist data to set, meet and exceed benchmarks for voter contact, volunteer recruitment, grassroots engagement, and GOTV
- Establish a strong professional culture within the field organization focused on accountability, specific goals, innovation and sense of purpose
- Maintain records of EDF organizers and activists, including updating contact information and tracking communications and activities
- Maintain up-to-date overall activity calendar for engaging key audience targets, share and coordinate planning with other appropriate teams
- Recruit new volunteer organizers and manage their development
- Reach out to field organizers from other organizations and to other key allies
- Implement strategies to follow up with new contacts
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- At least 4 years of experience in grassroots organizing or 2 cycles in field operations on political campaigns at the statewide, Congressional or higher level (volunteer management experience a must).
- Strong understanding of the political process; comfortable breaking complicated policies and procedures down for a lay audience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Comfortable with public speaking in front of large groups. Ability to inspire action in others, leading by example and instill purpose into daily campaign operations.
- Proficiency in data management software including SalesForce/Common Ground, Convio, and NGP/VAN.
- Exceptional time management and prioritization skills; ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure. Strong personal organization skills and a relentless dedication to
- Good judgement, initiative, and ability to anticipate problems and follow through with confidence.
- Ability to work in a team setting.
- Proficiency in the use of IBM PCs and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- An understanding of and commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission of protecting public health and the environment.
- Familiarity with online organizing tools and with how to leverage digital content to expand outreach and campaign engagements.
- Political and/or advocacy campaign experience
- Understanding of environmental priorities
- Able to work flexible hours
- HTML and design/Photoshop skills preferred
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply